smoke?

odee

Reaction score
I have a 89 model 5.9 dodge cummins that has been swapped into an 86 gmc. Had to swap pumps because the orginal one was pouring fuel from the head unit. Got it running with another 89 non ic ve pump. I have installed a 94 and up ic,2003 turbo and manifold with exhaust brake. The exhaust from the brake out is a 4 inch to the rear axle. When the truck is fired the exhaust is grayish in color seems to smell like unburnt diesel. Could I have the timing on the pump off or has this new to me pump been fooled with? Engine has set about 8 months before firing it in its new home. Starts right off with no hesitation takes fuel good. thanks for the help.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have the start aid wire hooked up ... it looks just like the shut off solenoid but its down on the lower side of the pump and has a line going to the top of the fuel pump at the front ... this is just to advance the timing till the engine warms up ... if your pump does not have this i would try advancing the timing just a tad to help with the smoke ... does the smoke clear up once the engine gets up to temp ...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my pump has that at the bottom. What has to be done to make it work? apply 12 volt or what? thanks for the help.
Let me take that question one step further (keep in mind that I'm approaching this from the IDI world)...is the wire going to the timing-advance solenoid straight +12V, or is it going through a coolant temp switch? How does the solenoid "know" when the engine's warm enough? Is there a sensor in the line that cuts off the +12V after a certain temperature, or is temp somehow sensed internally in the pump?

If you by chance have any pictures, I'd love to see...I know next to nothing about the VE pump but am always trying to learn something new...

Thanks in advance!

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a sensor in the intake manifold... toward the rear of the engine ... it should have a wire coming from the fuel shutoff solenoid to the sensor and then to the timing advance ... once the intake air reaches around 100 degrees it cuts out ... so it comes on and off as you build boost also

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine wired directly to the Ignition wire from the key ... but my fuel shutoff solenoid is by passed so i have to kill it with the clutch or pull the lever shutoff on the pump .. I had some electrical problems on a long trip so i pulled the top off my pump and removed the solenoid and removed the plunger from it to eliminate power loss from low voltage

odee

Reaction score
thanks I will look into that sensor. My engine was orginally not ic, so the pump matchs engine any wiring differences? Could I find this sensor at the parts store or dealer if it is missing? I got the alternator wired in so I'm charging now while running, worked on a few more things on the truck. I did bump the pump up some on the timing it seemed to help it out. The small line that you have to remove to turn the pump was off some where I had it running at before. I drove up the drive way to my house and back to the drive at the shop a few times in a low gear seemed to look better the more it ran. thanks again

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that small line .. is it shaped like a U ... if so it is your air fuel ratio control line .. your fuel wont open up w/o it hooked up. What did you put your cummins in to ? do you have any pics of the conversion?

odee

Reaction score
the truck is a crew cab dually 2wd 86 model gmc. the u shaped line was hooked up, it was just sprung some where I had put the pump in orginally. When I took the banjo bolt out I noticed it went in toward the head some so I just lined the pump up to match when the bolt went in. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the swap.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The timing advance on the side of the pump is called the KSB. Attached is a PDF extraction from the Cummins Service Manual for the B Series engines explaining how it works.
You must be registered for see images attach

The OP's symptoms sound like the engine is allowing some unburnt fuel to be sent out. Mine does the same thing when it's cold. It could be because the injectors are old and worn out, there could be new aftermarket injectors that dump more fuel, the timing could be advanced already and the KSB is advancing it further, the intake grid heaters may not be functioning, etc.

By the way, if y'all want me to email you the factory service manual I can. PM me with your email address.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Warden .. did you put in a charge air after cooler .... the difference is huge ... A 4" flow cooler from a 94-02 Dodge fits beautifuly in the Radiator support of these chevy's with some modification

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online