smoke at start up?

jpxj94

Reaction score
newb question? After my truck has been sitting for a good eight hours or more I am getting white smoke at start for about a minute and then it goes away. It doesn't smoke any other time just at very cold start up. My truck is a early 99 F250 7.3 4" downpipe 5" exhuast bully dog 4 position flip chip 137,000 miles

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what I would call perfectly normal (assuming your glow plugs and glow plug relay are functioning) for a cold start. White smoke is fuel that wasnt combusted due to lack of combustion temps.

jpxj94

Reaction score
My work trucks are power strokes and they don't seem to smoke like this. I will post pics tomorrow and let you see what you think

Last edited:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
My 97F250 PSD smokes like crazy when she's 1st fired up & till she's warm, then the smoke goes away.

jvencius

Reaction score
jpxj94 said:
newb question? After my truck has been sitting for a good eight hours or more I am getting white smoke at start for about a minute and then it goes away. It doesn't smoke any other time just at very cold start up. My truck is a early 99 F250 7.3 4" downpipe 5" exhuast bully dog 4 position flip chip 137,000 miles

If your GPR is bad and it's warm enough outside to start w/o the glow plugs, that could cause excessive smoke. A new GPR is ~$50 at the IH parts house, so if you feel like throwing parts at a problem, that would be a good place to start.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jpxj94 said:
My work trucks are power strokes and they don't seem to smoke like this. I will post pics tomorrow and let you see what you think
Try plugging it in overnight, see if the smoke goes away on a cold start up.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
1 or more bad glowplugs can do that. On a 99 it could be old enough to have 1 or 2 bad ones but still start perfectly fine.
Ken

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem....Auctually mine would not start at all if I didn't plug it in...I was ready to pull the glow plugs...Then I put it on a scan tool...My oil temperature sender was bad.... It tells the glow plugs to turn on... It screws on the top front side of your engine...It ran me like $50.00 at ford...Advanced auto, Autozone and Pepboys didn't know what the stinkin thing was....that wasn't a big surprise.....Nappa had one in stock but the one they had was not the same one that was on my truck...I even checked it in other Nappa's they were all the same and they even showed me what it looked like in the Nappa book and it was the same they gave me, so going to nappa is a waste of time. If you find it anywhere stress to them that it is and OIL, NOT A COOLANT sender because people were giving me prices for them instead, it saves you a waste of trip.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I see what you mean....mine would smoke out a fire company for the first few seconds then it looked like what was in your picture at an idle.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres mine on a cold start.

You must be registered for see images attach

And heres mine on a really cold start. It was about 5 degrees this morning.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Snap shots of exhaust smoke are of only a moment in time. I'd like to see some videos. This morning was the coldest so far this winter (24*F) and she fired right up without the heater cord...but there was white smoke on start up (as I normally get) but it took a few minutes longer to clear up.

I'm still annoyed at my EBPV's moaning, but I don't plan on gutting or disconnecting it. I put in my home made cold fronts (4" foam pipe insulation) in my grill. This cold snap will pass shortly. ;Sweet

For all of you in the frozen north, gimme a break with the cold fronts used in California. I'm practicing a winter routine not normal where I live. :D

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Forgot to plug in last night & this AM when snowblowing the drive I fired up the PSD and pulled her out into the street.

Neighbor man who was out shovelling came over and asked me if I was fogging for mosquetoes she was smoking so much :rotflmao :rotflmao He then asked if I could turn her off & I asked him if he could turn off his car :D :D

It was 3*F out acording to the weather channel when she was fired up

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
hheynow said:
For all of you in the frozen north, gimme a break with the cold fronts used in California. I'm practicing a winter routine not normal where I live. :D

What's a cold front :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's not like it get's that cold here :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: