SMF is in DMF is out

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got done with the swap today and I should have done it a looooong time ago! I cant hear any more noise than before at idle, I get some gear noise in 1st and 2nd when chugging along but thats it. I still have plain ATF in it and dont see any reason to change. Only issue I had was the inspection cover, the pressure plate hits it a little bit so I need to do a little bit of hammer work to it.

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
The inspection plate does keep dirt and crud from getting up and causing premature failure of your rear main seal on your engine and your front seals on your tranny if you have an automatic. I use to believe that it didnt do anything until my front tire kicked a rock up going down the hwy at 65 mph said rock was about the size of a walnut anyway it managed to lodge between my torque converter and bell housing causing wide spread destruction of the housing and the converter...a new tranny and converter taught me to keep the inspection covers in place.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got done with the swap today and I should have done it a looooong time ago! I cant hear any more noise than before at idle, I get some gear noise in 1st and 2nd when chugging along but thats it. I still have plain ATF in it and dont see any reason to change. Only issue I had was the inspection cover, the pressure plate hits it a little bit so I need to do a little bit of hammer work to it.

Who's SMF did you use?

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the kit from NAPA, made by perfection clutch. Its a 12.25" disc. I would have went with a Southbend setup if I had to pay retail for the NAPA unit. While I had the truck up on the lift I found I had a loose tie rod end and also decided to put in the axle pivot bushings ive been putting off, but it turned out they werent as bad as I had suspected. I have all new brake hoses, rotors and pads ready to go on, but to my surprise my pads are still about 50% with 30,000 miles on them so im going to wear them out first!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does the DMF sound like when it start going out? I'm having a grinding sound sometimes when I put her under a load, it sounds like I'm grinding the gates of hell away, when it happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online