Small problem need advice

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
I have a small problem with my baby, Im pretty sure I know what it is just thought I would run it by you guys, Mod. sorry if this is out of place just seems this page gets alot of traffic, anyway I have noticed that the last two days that when starting the truck that my W.T.S. light does not come on and it seems as the volt meeter does not move, Im thinking G.P. relay, what about you guys? thanks

stay safe out there
Roy :draw

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTS light should come on even if the GPR is dead????

BJS

Reaction score
Yep the WTS light still comes on when the GPR is toast or even unplugged. I lucked out and got a truck wired with a nice little plug for the triggering wires on the GPR and right now mine is unplugged and I still get the WTS light.

So yes replace the GPR an that should solve the problem.

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
I don't think it is the GPR, sounds more like the power to the instrument panel. I am fairly sure that the WTS light is operated by the PCM separately from the GPR, and they can operate for different legnths of time; not like the IDIs or the 6.5 Chevies where the WTS light is on at exactly the same time the plugs are active.

I have heard of a poor chip connection causing no WTS light, but it seems to me that the truck usually does not start when that happens. Still, I'd pull the parking brake pedal out and remove the chip (make sure the key is off!) and see if any of the old insulation is on the board or anything else interfering with the connection. I'd also check all the fuses and move them out and back into their connectors to make sure of a good connection.

It is probably fairly warm there but how does it start? (Excessive cranking, misfire on startup or excess white smoke?)

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
OK after watching alittle closer the WTS light is comeing on, but only for about 2 sec. it just seemed that it used to come on longer than that before, and watching the volt gauage there is no movement there ie the GP relay kicking on/off :confused:

stay safe out there

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im trying to jog my memory here but I thought in the latter years of the first gen PSD that some of the PCM codes would shorten the GP cycle time depending on ambient temps, this might be why you only see the WTS light for a very short period of time..... but, you might still have a bad GPR if your not getting a draw on the volt meter. Have you tested the GPR yet?

twildman

Reaction score
Roy, is it doing it in the morning after sitting all night?

the gp's won't lite if the motor is warm with the programs you have.

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Hey Tim, now that you jumped in I did begin to notice it alittle while after I got your chip, and by the way I still cant get the smile off my face :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;Sweet ;Sweet , anyway I have noticed it both in the morning, and afternoon. It is still warm here 96 today :mad: -cuss and our nights are in the high 60's,

stay safe out there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online