shifting us gear overdrive

Black dawg

Reaction score
I was gonna comment that the GV units are no better when shifting down. You tend to get a big thud out of the drivetrain, really sucks. Rev matching helps sometimes, and not others. The ratios are so near each other on the splits, I only use it as an O/D with this transmission.
Travis..

the key to downshifting the gv is slightly adding throttle, and just the right amount of clutch or not if going slow enough.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it is much easier/smoother if the rpms are really low, 1500-ish. If you are cooking along and need to drop from o/d, it's hard to get the rpm match correct. I have taken to just going down to 3rd and leaving it over if all I want is essentially 4th gear. 3rd over is so close to 4th, it's otherwise useless.
Travis..

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as an update, I have gotten to where 99% of the time the shift is smooth, with no noise other that a click. I really like it, and if I can find one to replace the gv in my suburban I will be doing so.

I feel the us gear is a stronger unit and like you said, after you get use to it all you hear is a click. Sometimes mine will still give a thud but its not bad.

I had to put a new motor in mine last week and after driving without an od for a couple days I have no clue how I ever got along without one!

The new motor made the shifts extremely faster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online