Serious Tranny Leak---HELP!!

taber45

Reaction score
I just went and got my boat out of storage today. Hauled it home and had a heavy load in the back too. Expect I may have had around 10,000#s total (not much for my 94 IDI). Everything went great except when I got home and parked the truck I had a blood trail following me. LUCKILY, I was home, but I have a serious leak in my tranny. I think its an E4OD, as it was widely used in this truck, but I can't see and tags on it to know for sure. ANYWAY, the fluid is running out of the front end of it, like a front seal or a torque converter or something, because the fluid is running out by the starter. I am sure it is tranny fluid as there is none left on the dipstick and I changed it like 1500 miles ago, and cause its red too. I have never had to pull the tranny off of a truck this big before. How big of a project is it? How do I tell what is leaking? Has anyone had anything similar happen before? Do I have to pull the engine? The truck is only a 2WD so that should make it easier, but it still seems like a big job....Anyone who can help with suggestions? -cuss

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was coming out of the drain tube under the converter I would say the tranny over heated and puked the fluid out the front seal. Were you pulling in overdrive slowly or in any gear at low rpms.

snatchal

Reaction score
Try the easy fix first. Dump some more fluid in and see if it comes out right away. Sometimes if you overheat it will puke out and then be fine after a refill.
If no more comes out, do a fluid and filter change and keep your fingers crossed.

taber45

Reaction score
I was pulling it in OD, but I pushed the OD off when I was going uphill. I only kept it on when I was on a flat during cruise speed (55-60). I didnt see the fluid coming from a drain tube, actually it was coming from below the starter at the mating surface of the bell housing or something. Im not even sure if I have a drain tube. But I might believe that it was pretty hot. I will try to refill it. Coincidentally, I saw the trail and it was a half mile long!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this happen personally at the IDI Weekend last year. Jim Madden pulled in with his camper, and when he went to back up, it puked all over the ground. He put new fluid in it, and it was fine. cookoo Time to add more cooling capacity.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an E4OD and especially if you have 3.55 gears that is to slow for over drive. The tranny doesn't pump enough fluid to properly cool and provide enough pressure at that rpm with that load. A large add on cooler is needed if you want to do this, and I would set the FIPL as high as possible to keep the shift points high under load. These comments are my own personal oppinion based on my experiance with my '91 E4OD. The front seal is probably weak now so it will puke at a lower temp next time. Put a tranny temp guage on.

taber45

Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to tinker the truck tonight. BUT I question how big of a job it is to change the front seal if that is indeed what failed. Is the seal something that I can purchase and change myself or should I just buy a rebuilt tranny and torque converter and get it over with. OR just take this one to a tranny shop and let them fix it? At the rate the fluid came out, I dont think it is likely that the seal is still intact. Now 1 day later I can still see the fluid trail from where it started puking a 1/2 mile from the house.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To replce the seal slide TC off pop seal out pop new one in slide TC back on. Of course this means sliding the tranny back far enough to do this. Normaly if you refill it and it dosen't leak imediately its fine. It is kind of a belows type seal so when it gets to hot it deforms under pressure, when it cools it regains its structural integrity. I have a car that does this on a regular basis because of cooler problems. It pukes out 2 or 3 quarts in les time then being stopped at a traffic light, let it cool put more fluid in it and go down the road.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I thought I had fried my tranny puking oil like a champ ended up being the hard line to the cooler was rubbed through. hope it works out for the best!!!!

taber45

Reaction score
Great News! You guys were right! I refilled it today and drove about 20 miles or so, kicking its rear most of the way. AND, I do have a drain, I didnt see it before, because it was plugged full of garbage and when I looked before it was dark. Anyway, with the drain cleaned out and after the drive, I did see a few drips coming out, but I think it might be residual. I will keep a close eye on the level in the next couple of weeks to be sure (and of-course look for drips from the drain). So on the the next mind boggling question....What is the best tranny cooler to buy for my money? Do they hook up to the existing tranny cooler lines that go to the radiator?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online