sd33t powered scout anybody?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
now we's gonna have to mount up a posse of us salt belt guys and plan a raid on towkitty some night...

Come get our old 460 rigs, take em home and drop your six point nine in there ;Sweet I'll be headed to Hannibal MO later this year with a 16' flat bed, let me know what you want :sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
mine averaged 23 mpg with 31's and 3.55 rears. factory was rated at 26 mpg. and i beleive the average scouts about 4500 pounds, so the longer +18" terra (mine)/traveler (that one) is a few hundred more. the stock torque was 175 ft lbs too.... :puke:

i'm reallllly hoping i average at least 20 mpg with the 6.9 so i can rub it in the nissan diesel's face! :rotflmao

-Jon :D

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed out on a free 80 turbo Scout. A guy at work had one and he up and gave it away to one of the other guys son. I was PISSED that I missed out on it, I was intending to ask him about the thing but he beat me to the punch.
Travis..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true.
it was only avail one year maybe two years.
Nothing to write home about, iirc "the Warden" said it was pretty anemic on the power.
Sounds about right. The SD-33T was installed strictly for economy...supposedly 20 to 25 mpg was common, but mine really only saw 15 to 17...OTOH just about the entire time I drove it was with a cracked piston cookoo one thing's for sure: these were NOT known for power!

The n/a version was around from '76 to '79, with the turbo version only sold in 1980. As others said, the '80 was only sold with a T-19, while you could get either a T-19 or a Torquflite 727 auto in the '76-'79 trucks. I drove a '78 with a slushbox once, and it made my old '80 look blindingly fast :eek: and an M-B 240D automatic (reputed to be one of the slowest cars on the road) could easily outrun an SD-33T Scout :shocked:

My Scout was a fun little putter, though...if it hadn't been for the severe cancer (ex Michigan/Utah truck), I'd probably have tried to repair the engine. That said, good luck finding parts for the engine anywhere other than a forklift shop....and be prepared to pay out the nose for them :shocked:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Those engines were seriously popular in Australia and the UK, to the point where they were selling conversion kits to drop them into other vehicles . I'd bet a person could probably find aftermarket rebuild kits over yonder and have one shipped cheaper than buying high dollar dealer parts.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Sounds about right. The SD-33T was installed strictly for economy...supposedly 20 to 25 mpg was common, but mine really only saw 15 to 17...OTOH just about the entire time I drove it was with a cracked piston cookoo one thing's for sure: these were NOT known for power!

The n/a version was around from '76 to '79, with the turbo version only sold in 1980. As others said, the '80 was only sold with a T-19, while you could get either a T-19 or a Torquflite 727 auto in the '76-'79 trucks. I drove a '78 with a slushbox once, and it made my old '80 look blindingly fast :eek: and an M-B 240D automatic (reputed to be one of the slowest cars on the road) could easily outrun an SD-33T Scout :shocked:

My Scout was a fun little putter, though...if it hadn't been for the severe cancer (ex Michigan/Utah truck), I'd probably have tried to repair the engine. That said, good luck finding parts for the engine anywhere other than a forklift shop....and be prepared to pay out the nose for them :shocked:

My wife's grandpa gave us a '91 Geo Metro, fire engine red... three cylinders of sheer power and authority. I can remember my wife and I driving down to LA over the grapevine in second gear pulling all of about 28 MPH in the slow lane. We made that trip about a dozen or so times, damn car overheated every time.

That was a real good laugh, Warden!!! :rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nissan Patrols are as popular in australia as ford exploders were here before the recall. Most use a turbocharged 4.2L diesel, and what really surprised me was the use of closed knuckle front axle. Even the brand new ones still use it.

Short of importing a large truck like a ford superduty, the nissan line is basically the biggest, heaviest you can buy down there without going to a commercial snub cab "lorry". The pickup version is a clone to the frontier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online