SD rear axle swap

Sweanpup

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was on craigslist and I found a SD rear axle for $250. Rear disc brakes and an LSD that actually works. I already run 8x170 wheels with adapters, now i could ditch the adapter. I would have to re gear it from 3.7s to 410s. what else would i have to do to get it in? everything else should bolt up? that you guys in advance!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I would get spacers so the front wheels don't stick out more than the rear when you ditch the adaptors. You will be better off waiting to find one that already has 4.10s. Regearing is expensive and easy to mess up. I believe the disk brakes run a different proportioning valve but there's adjustable ones out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle bolts right in but you will need longer shocks and you have to move the shock mounts around, you may also have to swap your vss sensor over depending which year axle you are getting. Ebrake cables are different so you will have to make them (SD cables) work with the obs system.

Just so you know 99-04 axles use a -6mm offset and the 05 and up have a -44mm offset, so if your try to put earlier SD rims on the later axle they will stick out almost 2" on each side.
Also 16" rims will NOT fit on the 05 and up axles.

Sweanpup

Reaction score
Im going to wait until i find a set of SD axles with 4.10s and convert the front to coils and possible link the rear. i just saw a good deal and was curious if it would be a good buy.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Yeah, the 05+ SRW is a wider axle. ~70" iirc.

4.10 is more common in gas trucks... I'm quite sure that what my '07 set is from.