school me on the fuel/water seperator for a 1985

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I need to know bout how it works. I've searched and have come up with nothing. My water in fuel light came on the other day, played with the separator and light went out. The next day bout 20 miles into using my truck it came on again and has been on since. Even after messing with the separator. Its the factory 1985 setup, and I haven't had to mess with one this style.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is it still the one mounted on the firewall, driver side, by steering column/master cylinder? If so, they have some issues, mainly with the drain valve getting dirty and not sealing after you open it, allowing a fuel leak or air intrusion through the drain hose. There is usually a pull ring attached to the valve. Most remove the OEM water separator by using the 7.3 filter head (replacing the 6.9 one out on the front of the motor) or an aftermarket separator. The 7.3 one is pretty much bolt on and has the water separator built in. Racor and several others also make usable units. I use a Perma cool filter (it has a water separator in the filter) pre-electric pump and then use a 7.3 filter head on my 6.9. Have been using it for a few years with very good luck.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its the one on the firewall by drivers fender. and thanks knuckledragger, i don't know how that didn't come up or me see that when i was searching through everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac