Runs like a bat out of Hell, but you damn near have to kick start it.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I bought Autolites once, wound up testing and replacing 6 of them with the old Beru's that came out of it. The Autolites lasted about 2 weeks.:puke: While you are at it, try renting a compression tester so you can get a good idea of the engine's condition. A 1/4 inch drive socket set with a swivel and extensions got to all of my gp's if I remember correctly. I may have used a 3/8 flex head gear wrench to work around the turbo. I would use some degreaser, pressure wash, spray brakleen, dry off with compressed air around the area you will be working on. It will probably take longer to clean the thing than change the gp's with the right tools.

And i agree, bypassing the original wires may not have been necessary. Good luck, I would take advantage of the information laid out here.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... this went to the "why am I here and why am I posting" section of the too late to help me now pile.

Dude, you probably just ruined a perfectly good wiring system, that is one of the best thought out and best designed systems I've ever seen, and you traded it for a can of either and a dream of preheating your air? Why even come in and ask for advice?

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually the connectors were completely rotted out down to bare metal and the wires were all corroded, So they had to go no mater what. But I appreciate the love anyway :D

I've still not had time to try and remove the GPs but when I do I'll keep you posted.

By the way, life is an organic process, with each bit of new information, a new decision might be forthcoming. Its those who fossilize themselves within an old reality that fail to remain ahead of the curve.

wmoguy

Reaction score
actually the connectors were completely rotted out down to bare metal and the wires were all corroded, So they had to go no mater what. But I appreciate the love anyway :D

I've still not had time to try and remove the GPs but when I do I'll keep you posted.

By the way, life is an organic process, with each bit of new information, a new decision might be forthcoming. Its those who fossilize themselves within an old reality that fail to remain ahead of the curve.

With any due respect you outta know who Agnem is, and how far his products for the IDI HE developed are so far above the curve before you go throwing stones at a guy who could fix that rats nest in under an hour. Continue on, you'll find real quickly that peeps on here don't much care for a smart ass who asks for help then rejects good advice. Your pleads for help might be short lived threads. If you honestly think your the first guy to try ether injection, grid intake heaters or cockamamie welding injectors you think to highly of yourself.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its more like dodging stones, again and again. And there's two ways to skin a cat. But you'd apparently have me simply bend over and shout, "thank you sir, may I have another, rather than just pass off the insult with a bit of a smirk. Sorry, but whoever the big shots are around here they still need to act respectfully.

I've heard a number of different ideas, might consider all but can't act on all. So if your bit of advice didn't make it to the top ten, no reason to start casting stones, and then blaming others when they dodge and weave from the aspersions.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If you have good plugs and a good controller, you need to check the temp sensor and it's connection (the one on the passenger side). This controls the GP controller. I had a bad connection on one of my trucks and the gp's would not cycle long enough.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm I'll have to check that, didn't know it was part of the system so thanks.

Oh and over on this thread http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59004-won-t-start/page3 post 37 on, its pretty clear to see that I'm taking a "suggestion" by considering the ether systems and by being willing to try the GPs one more time, assuming I can get them out. Another suggestion was new GP wires, although I'm not sure who suggested it, and they were fried anyway. If you really want to dig, I asked about where to get a new harness for those over a year ago.

Anyway thanks to all who "are" trying to help.
B

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
EBay about $100 has new harnesses

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
My beru plugs have lasted for ten years now. I rigged my glow plugs for manual control and have never had one problem with them after. I burn them for about 6 to 8 secs and it fires off every time.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all just ask you to do one thing for us....give the truck a chance to work properly before you give up on it. We can get it to work.

Everyday i read this forum and when i'm done, i leave my computer chair with another bit of info. Yesterday it was mel's headgasket article and today it is heatsinks and fluid expansion for my zf5.

http://www.genosgarage.com/FAST-COOLER-KIT-5-SPEED-AND-6-SPEED/productinfo/FC-6-SPD-DG/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?6.9L Gasket and Turbo Install

This is the kind of information that can make me dangerous.

i read a little bit of this everyday too
http://thedieselfiles.com/Ford/

goodluck with your glowplugs, you got your truck for free so you're already 2k ahead of most of us when we started. Let us know how it goes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online