Running Methyl (Methynal) as a power booster?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im not sure if I've got the right word there or not. What Im trying to talk about is the chemical I used to hear pronounced like "methynal" or "mynthynal" by some German WWII fighter pilots I used to get to talk to. Anyway, one of them talked about how the German engineers were trying to get a diesel powered ME109 fighter plane. And he added that they were experimenting with enabling the pilot to switch the fuel over to a pure "methynal" or "mynthynal" to boost the plane in extreme climbing conditions.

I dont know what got me thinking about it, but I remembered this conversation today and I figured it would be a good topic to discuss here.
Did these old guys know what they were talking about or were they just BSing?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
YES!
THERE YOU GO!
Haha, gotta remember these guys were German and they still had their accents, lol.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, I don't think methanol is something you want to be using in a diesel to boost performance. One reason, it is wood alcohol and very toxic. Another is that it is too volitile to be good fuel for a diesel - I would think if you used enough to do much of anything it would knock the cetane value of your fuel down too far. Lastly it doesn't have the lubricating properties of petroleum OR vegtable oil (main component in biodiesel) - meaning it would be ******* your pump and injectors.

It is the second main component in making biodiesel, but one of the things the home brewers are always wanting to do is reduce the amount of unreacted **** and unreacted veg oil in the finished product. **** because it lowers the flash point of the fuel, veg oil because it gels filters.

Those are my thoughts, but I'm interested in hearing what others have to say....

BTW, the Germans also used Methanol as the primary fuel in the first jet engined planes - the Messerchmidts that they started building right at the very end of WWII.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I would talk to Travis {Argve} before diving in head first :D

I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet LOL
while that may be so--he was putting out double the amount of water as russes truck--and thats why he cracked pistons and such--you can def get tooooo much of a good thing--what happens if you put toooo much nitro to a dragster???????? BOOM!!!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water Methanol injection was used on both Axis and Allied planes as "War Emergency Power", aka WEP, was also used on some tanks. They used it for short periods only as needed. It wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to develope a diesel to run on straight methanol as they were hurting badly for fuel and trying all kinds of stuff.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
while that may be so--he was putting out double the amount of water as russes truck--and thats why he cracked pistons and such--you can def get tooooo much of a good thing--what happens if you put toooo much nitro to a dragster???????? BOOM!!!!!

Yea....not pickin' on Travis :angel: :D ...just want to get all the facts out ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US