Runaway starter

ClifFord

Reaction score
Got a 97, 7.3L P.S. when I turn the key the starter engages, with a cold start issue, yes I have the glowplugs, but still need to install them. Anyway, the starter continues to turn over even when the key is not only off, but also removed. Changed out the relay, and bench tested the starter. All are fine. So the only other thing I was thinking was the key switch is sticking. Had anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I seen a video once. I believe the problem was the starter.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it happen once on my PSD , my fault can't remember why, but I cranked it way to long getting it start, oh bad GP solenoid, Any how would shut off only by pulling battery cable off. Ended up putting a new starter on to solve.
by the way bench testing does very little to prove good -no good starter on a diesel, need to load test which very few places are able to do.

ClifFord

Reaction score
Yes, very true on load testing the starter, I bench tested to see if the solenoid was sticking open.
I didn't think the gp relay would have anything to do with the starter, but I will change it out with the glowplugs.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, very true on load testing the starter, I bench tested to see if the solenoid was sticking open.
I didn't think the gp relay would have anything to do with the starter, but I will change it out with the glowplugs.

I was not saying it was , just that it was bad and I cranked wayyyy to long on the starter causing it to stick on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online