Run away diesels

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If a turbo seal or the CDR goes, they can introduce oil into the intake and there it goes. A piece if wood over the intake is about the only way to stop it with an automatic. Dumping the clutch on a manual will work, if your clutch is good. That's one of the sounds I really don't ever want to hear!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I plan on taking a lesson from detroit diesel and putting a butterfly in the air intake.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, well I like salvaging parts and reassigning them new duty - for that I think a trip to the junkyard may be in order, looking for a Detroit Diesel in a wrecked medium-duty truck...

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Ah, well I like salvaging parts and reassigning them new duty - for that I think a trip to the junkyard may be in order, looking for a Detroit Diesel in a wrecked medium-duty truck...

If you're looking for it that way then why not use an aftermarket exhaust brake?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cause I never though of it... lol. Also, what are the chances of finding one in the junkyard? And if I do find one, it sure as heck ain't going on my intake - instead heads will be coming off for new valve springs, guess with what evil intentions ;)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it happen. It was from a bent throttle linkage. I think an IDI with blowby like the Detroits had to cause this problem probably wouldn't be running, but I guess turbo seals or something like that could cause it, but it would probably just make a huge oil leak instead. I think we are at risk when we do any work to the IP, especially taking the governor cover off for any reason. If you do that I'd recommend having a clean piece of plywood or hardbound thick book nearby to clap over the air intake. I've also heard some people who work on 6.2/6.5 diesels say this can be stopped by pinching the main return line from the IP shut with vice grips(only works in later models with flexible main return line, 83-86 at least has a hard steel return) this over pressurizes the hydraulic head and causes a shutdown. You could also cut the fuel supply line. The fuel line/pump ideas depend on it being a fuel related runaway. If it were from oil vapors as with the detroits then you'd have to shut off the air.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Not an IDI but I lost the turbo on my 3406E CAT a couple years ago and it fed off of oil and tried to run away but I got lucky and realized what was happening before it was a problem. I pulled into a rest area in 7th gear doing about 5 mph with the engine trying to pull HARD to get away. I shut it down and held the brakes and it died hard. When the hired wrench got there he was amazed I got it shut down, as I said I got lucky as I'm no ninja driver. LOL

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got to be ready to rip your shirt off and stuff it in there. Cutting off air is the only way because it is drinking its own blood.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard they'll eat shop towels and shirts like nobodys business. Also heard someone tried to plug one with his butt, certainly wouldn't recommend that.

I get a big 4" thick phone book to slap over the intake after I've been messing with stuff. I figure first I'd cut the fuel line (I have rubber going almost right to my IP) and then put that over it, and then run away. A friend of mine helped swap a bunch of the military vehicles from 6.2 to 6.5 engines and said they always had a phone book ready, about 1 in 6 would try to run away at first startup.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
That's a good idea, any suggestions on where the proper (for our engines) 4" valve can be obtained for cheap?

you can get a spring loaded knife blade, much thinner than a butterfly, this is standard safety equipment in the super sport pulling class. you can get them from industrial supply places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger