Routing Wires?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to run the CB + wire out the firewall to the battery. Was wondering what the proper way to pass a cable through the firewall is...

What are the rubber dongles called that the cable passes through as it goes through the firewall? Where can I get them?

Also, is it a simple manner to drill a hole through the firewall on the passenger's side floorboard above where his/her feet would be? The CB shop ran my antenna wire out this location, but there's no space in that pass-thru to route the power wire so another hole is needed.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber things are called grommets.

The area where the floor-board slopes up under the dash is only one layer most anywhere across the truck.

There are numerous rubber plugs on the firewall where more wires can be poked through beside the stock ones; sometimes poking an ice-pick through the rubber will make an opening large enough to pass a wire.

I took lengths of 12GA extension cord and routed them through my floor, using some of them for existing lights, etc., and leaving several extra ones tied neatly out of the way for future needs.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
The proper way is to drill a hole somewhere far far away from moving or hot parts and install a rubber Grommet(Available from Advance Auto,Napa,Radio Shack-can't believe this place is still around-and just about ANY place that sells electronic parts or automotive parts).Don't skimp on the grommet(around a buck or two) since last thing you want is 500 amps at 12 volts making fireworks right in front of your legs or blowing up the battery(you CANNOT get all the acid off!).The Usual method though is find a really big bundle of wires already passing though the firewall and just feed a wire though with them.Kinda hard since Ford Really squeezed those wires though a perfectly sized hole.I would Opt for the drill and grommet method.It is easier,Cleaner,and safer to route the wires from the drivers side to the passenger side inside the cab than under the hood if you want to mount the wire to the solinoid(SP?) terminal like I do.