rotors

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my rotors are warped so i would like to get a drilled and slotted set anyone know a good set? for 4x4?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
My stepdad has some from Raybestos on his Super Duty. I just skimmed through their website but didnt see them. But im almost positvie they have them on there.

jeffro

Reaction score
I sell the drilled and slotted rotors to all the plow guys up here and they love them. They are made by affinia and they go for $90cad a side. Havent had a set come back yet, if you want to check them out Napa # is PR86476L and PR86476R

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Years ago my rotors kept warping and cracking. I took the truck to a well known Midas shop with some really compedent mechanics..... They told me about the rear barkes not actually self adjusting properly. So my truck was stopping fully loaded by just the front brakes... Not a good thing either... Makes for lots of heat and warpage.. They showed me how to check for this by setting my parking brake.... If the peddle sets almost to the floor it time to manually adjust the rear brakes. Also you can apply the parking brake about half way down and drive the truck... If the brake peddle is now much higher up when the stoppeng is working then its time to adjust the rears. Lots of owners have seen their trucks creep forwrads after coming to a stop in traffic too... This is the same issue... Whats happening is the fronts do the stopping and the rears have not filled the wheel cylinders fully yet. The foot on the brake peddle continues to fill the rears untill the pressure drops and you creep forwards... Till you suddenly feel this and apply more brakes... Hope this helps others to understand this Ford problem... When I changed my vacuum brakes for the hydroboost system this low peddle issue changed forever. I now have hydraulic pressure twice what the vauum system had. I do watch for the parking brake setting low too... Never has happened again and I'm not sure why...:dunno

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago my rotors kept warping and cracking. I took the truck to a well known Midas shop with some really compedent mechanics..... They told me about the rear barkes not actually self adjusting properly. So my truck was stopping fully loaded by just the front brakes... Not a good thing either... Makes for lots of heat and warpage.. They showed me how to check for this by setting my parking brake.... If the peddle sets almost to the floor it time to manually adjust the rear brakes. Also you can apply the parking brake about half way down and drive the truck... If the brake peddle is now much higher up when the stoppeng is working then its time to adjust the rears. Lots of owners have seen their trucks creep forwrads after coming to a stop in traffic too... This is the same issue... Whats happening is the fronts do the stopping and the rears have not filled the wheel cylinders fully yet. The foot on the brake peddle continues to fill the rears untill the pressure drops and you creep forwards... Till you suddenly feel this and apply more brakes... Hope this helps others to understand this Ford problem... When I changed my vacuum brakes for the hydroboost system this low peddle issue changed forever. I now have hydraulic pressure twice what the vauum system had. I do watch for the parking brake setting low too... Never has happened again and I'm not sure why...:dunno

THANKS! THIS DOESE HELP CUZ MY E BRAKE GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN AND HARDLY HOLDS THE TRUCK (I NEVER TRUST THEM I HAD A ROLL AWAY ONCE:puke:) BUT I HAVE ADJUSTED THE REAR MULTIPLE TIMES WITH NO IMOROVEMENT?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sell the drilled and slotted rotors to all the plow guys up here and they love them. They are made by affinia and they go for $90cad a side. Havent had a set come back yet, if you want to check them out Napa # is PR86476L and PR86476R

I TOOK A LOOK AT THESE ON NAPAS WEB SITE AND THEY WANT $139 FOR ONE BUT WONT I NEED A NEW HUB BECAUSE ARENT THE STOCKERS ONE PEICE? OR IS THE PICTURE WRONG?

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score

Just to add a bit to this, whenever you guys are backing out of the driveway, parking stall, etc, etc and you have had your parking brake set make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting in to drive, or 1st. What this does is it automatically adjusts the rear brakes via the self adjusters in the drums themselves. This is another way to keep the rear brakes adjusted, sorry for the hijack just wanted to add my .02 to Icanfixall's post

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THANKS! THIS DOESE HELP CUZ MY E BRAKE GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN AND HARDLY HOLDS THE TRUCK (I NEVER TRUST THEM I HAD A ROLL AWAY ONCE:puke:) BUT I HAVE ADJUSTED THE REAR MULTIPLE TIMES WITH NO IMOROVEMENT?

Either a) you didn't get the brakes all the way adjusted, or b) you need new rear brake shoes or c) your rear brake drums are worn out beyond spec, or a combination of B and C.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either a) you didn't get the brakes all the way adjusted, or b) you need new rear brake shoes or c) your rear brake drums are worn out beyond spec, or a combination of B and C.

YEAH IDK WHATS GOING ON IT ALL SEEMS GOOD BUT IAM JUST LOOKING FOR A REAR DISC SETUP NOW:D

sootman73

Reaction score
make sure you are turning the wheel the right way when are tightening the rear brakes. you should turn the wheel down to tighten them and up to loosen them.

as for brakes adjusting... that stopping in reverse only works if your brakes adjust correctly. mine dont so i have to tighten them manually every once in a while.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
IMO You'll never get good results with Slotted, drilled rotors. They're mostly bling anyways. Sure You can read all the HYPE, and think Your getting Hi Po rotors. But Your not.

I've used them. On My Z's, and My Wifes Grand Prix. (She's a Brake Punisher!) Where We live, it's like the streets of San Francisco. I've NEVER gotten decent service life out of them.

If the HYPE were true, don't You think You'd see them on Nascar, Indy, Police, Fire cars. And why don't OTR truckers use them?

Cause they're NOT a Hi Po part. Some tests actually show that they INCREASE stopping distances.

Do Your self a favor, Buy some GOOD NAME BRAND Rotors. Raybestos is what I'm using.
Then get some GOOD pads. EBC makes good stuff. I'm using Hawk Brake Pads, and Love them. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB336P-655

Then FOLLOW RLDSL's advice. These Trucks are known to have very poor adjusters. You need to adjust them every 5-10K Miles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk