Rotella DFA

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella is everywhere, but I have never used it or checked into it... rumor has it, no water treatment in there at all?:sorry:

me4osu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use mostly the John Deere additives now. Here is a comparison SWRI Test

I posted all this crap in the one about Howes lubricant. I like the JD stuff because it is the closest you can get to Stanadyne additive (best), and you can get it at any JD dealer a little cheaper than the Stanadyne.

Plus, DFA contains alcohol, if I am not mistaken. In my opinion, anything alcohol based is not a very good lubricant.

On edit: The stanadyne lists a water demulsifier in every additive they make. I could not find any info like that about the JD stuff.

Last edited:

wpawley

Reaction score
Last August, I put some of that there Rotella DFA in my fuel for the trip to the Florida Keys. Everything was honking along just fine till after we got set up at Key Largo Kampground. On the way down, we seemed to have all the extra power in the world towing the 27' 5'er and 19' Lowe Deck Boat. We decided to go out and get supper and when I cranked the 5.9l Cummins, the Check Engine Light stayed on. Well, I shut down, let the oil drain back into the pan and checked it. Level was okay so checked the coolant, it was okay, checked the Power steering and brake fluids, they were okay. Cranked the engine, light stayed on. Called the DC Road assit number, gave them all the info they asked for, they told me to take it to the Dodge dealer in Homestead, Fl. They also told me it would be covered under warrenty. So I did, had to rent a car for 2 days, shop reset the light and told me the Cam Shaft Sensor was bad and not covered under warrenty. Shop also told me it would get us home to Georgia. Vacation went fine from that point on, just had to put up with the light. Got it home and to the shop, yep bad sensor, nope, not covered under warrenty (no lubed part), problem caused by adding Rotella DFA. Now, I would not trust this dealership here for nothing. But, if that is what they said, you think I would put anymore in? Not in this lifetime.

wpawley

Reaction score
Yeah, you could be right. But then again, I have found that most "Techs" down here at this Dodge Dealership in Albany, Ga couldn't find their ass with both hands.

CHarlan

Reaction score
I have used it, and no problems here... I use the Power Service DIESEL KLEEN Cetane booster (Silver bottle) and that makes a noticeable difference.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the power service diesel Kleen in the summer and i love it... I should try a tank with out it to see if there is a difference... lol :urinate

CHarlan

Reaction score
Well, it may take a few tanks to notice.. kind of like running red diesel, from what I have heard... It takes a few tanks worth to get the red color completely out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online