roll coal without affecting egts?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
All smoke got me was a letter from the apartment management, and mine was unintentional. cookoo

On subjects like this we shouldn't be asking if it can be done, but rather should it be done?

Heavy black smoke does little but offend the common folk, usher in new anti-diesel laws, and waste valuable fuel...

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree rolling smoke is pretty pointless. We pay 3.65 a gallon up here, watching all the unburned fuel rolling out the dual 8 inch stacks is just dumb. Those trucks usually have window decals that say "real trucks have glow plugs" or "diesel smoke makes me *****." Pointless.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also add that rolling coal normally, as in - half burned fuel coming out the exhaust valves, is a reliable way to make lots of black smoke but EGTs are not the only concern.

What you are doing at that point is washing down your piston rings and contaminating your engine oil. There is no way to measure the quality of the lubricant in your engine other than via sample testing. So you could be causing premature wear on your rings, bearings and possibly even lifters without knowing it. Half burned fuel will result in carbon build up that can clog the rings enough that they no longer press against the cylinder wall correctly, and again gasses are allowed to flow more freely from combustion side to crank case side.

One of the big advantages of the indirect injection method is the fuel starts burning before it even sees the piston or the wall of the cylinder (very close to the compression rings). Even direct injected diesels have a deep dish in the center of the piston for combustion to start, and spread out from there. In either case, the ideal senario is for combustion to be complete before any gasses reach the cylinder wall. If you have half burned fuel in that mix of gasses, it WILL reach your piston rings and start things rolling in that direction.

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We agree to disagree on that - after having been stuck behind one of those heavy-smokers for a few blocks and breathing his "coal" I really wanted to pull the sucker out of his cab and shove his face in his own stacks...

I agree with the above. I was following a guy the other day and he decided to be a jerk and just floored it and covered us in coal. I was pissed as we had all the windows down and my 3 day old baby girl in the car he filled teh interior of the car with smoke. If it wouldent have been that my little girl was in the car i would have flored it and caught up to him and punded teh **** outa him. And trust me my TDI jetta would have easily caught him. Their is a time and place to roal coal and thats at the track not on the street... Next time i see this guy without my girl in the car i will follow up with him..

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
True, but installing a muffler to make the sounds of a dying goat every time you step on the go pedal does not make a well set up engine :D Those stickers in the back window will assist you in your quest to speak with officer Mitchel on the side of the road ;Sweet

Hey a stock *** stain will never beat a well setup b18 on boost and if anybody knows It would be me trust me I've spent over 100k In the Honda game

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
True, but installing a muffler to make the sounds of a dying goat every time you step on the go pedal does not make a well set up engine :D Those stickers in the back window will assist you in your quest to speak with officer Mitchel on the side of the road ;Sweet

I was thinkin about this today while surrounded by a rice rocket "gang". They want fast cars, but they hand a muffler on there with the areodynamics of a brick. add the weight of the extra fart cannon, and what did you gain but making a lot of noise?

A GOOD, header to the rear of the car system is the only way to go in my books, and for god sakes....use a QUIET muffler if you are doing this.

The ONLY excuse for a loud exhaust, is 8 cylinders singing the tune my right foot rells them to sing...no excuse!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hey,some 4 banger exhaust actually sounds good but very very VERY few people have them.Almost all make the sound of a flatuent hound.I have heard 2 or 3 Rice rockets around here that have a good sound.Nice deep hollow tone but then the other 99.9% sound like a 5 horse briggs and suckin.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hey,some 4 banger exhaust actually sounds good but very very VERY few people have them.Almost all make the sound of a flatuent hound.I have heard 2 or 3 Rice rockets around here that have a good sound.Nice deep hollow tone but then the other 99.9% sound like a 5 horse briggs and suckin.

No, I will agree with you there. A buddy of mine has a GT R32 Skyline with the twin turbo 6 banger in it, and it WORKS....no rice to be seen on that car, and it has a nice ring to it......if you can turn your head fast enough to see it go past that is.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This thread is rediculous.

Might need a flux capacitor to aid in the ability to roll coal.....just need to get the truck to 88mph.....and have 1.21 jigawatts.....

Thad

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you all have taken this in the way i didnt intent to, people dont really drive, even more less WALK out where i live, and i meant it more in a personal entertainment, or cool looking kind of thing, not to **** other people off. i agree with Zrock about what ive seen some d!cks do, its obnoxious, i just thought itd be cool to occasionally see myself roll some coal out on the canyon-like road i drive up to go home, as well as hearing my straightpipe echo through the canyon walls. :D

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Their is a time and place to roal coal and thats at the track not on the street...

So you're saying that it's wrong for me to roll coal when some a**hole gets close enough to my back bumper that I can't see their wind sheild?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, two wrongs don't make it right. He can't see, slams his brakes, the innocent person behind him crashed into him and ends up with serious injuries. All because you were "teaching him a lesson."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist