Rocker arms- replace or keep?

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting closer to putting my 7.3 together. A friend strongly recommended replacing the rocker arms “just because...”
My used ones have 200k miles on them. But it seems I rarely hear of problems with IDI rockers (the new style).

How often are rocker arms a problem? How do I check for wear “to be sure”?

PLEASE! NO “Just replace ‘em” comments. Please. Unless you have facts (specific to the 7.3idi) to back it up, which would be welcome. Where do you stop with “just replace it”?
It’s so easy to spend other people’s $.

Thanks!

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept mine when I did the heads on my truck. 7.3. They looked fine, they don’t have a reputation for wearing out. New is expensive. Replacing them is not hard if they need it later.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just check them for any abnormal wear. Copper end of pushrod goes toward the rocker arm. when the pushrod is in the rocker you should be able to blow through it at operating angles if not rocker or push rod is bad and needs replacing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
when the pushrod is in the rocker you should be able to blow through it at operating angles
Just for good measure, before installing the push rods, I like to spray some brake/carb cleaner through the them and then blow it dry with compressed air. This will help to ensure that they are clean inside. Even new ones fresh from the box can and probably do have something inside them. If they do, it will go into your engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online