Rising from the grave 84 6.9 fuel issues

troutski

Reaction score
Hi there Internet of Diesels,
The patient is an 84 F 250 4x4 4sp. Parked 5 years ago when it ate the Ranger Torque Splitter. Couldn't let it go. Bought a new unit from Andavced in Jan, and have it all in and buttoned up.
Of course, no start. New batteries. Drained the tanks and added 5 gal to the rear tank. No joy. No fuel at the filter. Unhooked the inlet side of the manual fuel pump and attached a long vinyl hose (so I could see if fuel was being pumped. The fuel pump works, bled the system and after a disturbingly long time, she fired and idled. As long as I kept pouring copious amounts of fuel in the hose.

So, I seem to be suffering from the rotten fuel pick up in the tank syndrome.

Side tank is disconnected for some reason that is lost in the mists of time. ( could have been that it was a PITA to get fuel into, IIRC... but I'm old, and things get overwritten on the brain cells)

LMC is maddeningly vague on the in-tank parts for an 84 Diesel. Is there a better, more reliable experienced parts seller (hopefully on the list) that would have what I need for the dreaded tank drop and refit? I have read the detail on the R & R, and am not looking forward to that....

thanks,
Mark
Front Range of Colorado
84 F-240 XLT extended cab 4x4 4sp (8 really with the torque splitter) The Post Apocalypse Machine

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to replace (for me) is to remove bed. 3-4 friends after you have soaked the mounting bolts and nuts under the bed/frame. Kroil if you have it handy or any good 'loose-juice'. Don't forget to unplug lights at rear bumper and disconnect both tank fill hoses from bed (3 screws each and band clamps on metal hose mount underneath fuel doors). Fold these down out of the way of fender stiffeners. Lift and walk it to the rear. Then take a break;Sweet

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Easiest way to replace (for me) is to remove bed. 3-4 friends after you have soaked the mounting bolts and nuts under the bed/frame

One of the nuts for the bed bolts was missing on my F250, so it might not be hard. The bolt wasn't broken, the nut was just plain gone.

troutski

Reaction score
I think I am going to pull the bed. I need to sort the side tank anyway.
One note, the link for the sending unit goes only to '85 My rig is an '84

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online