Return line question

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've read several threads looked at various routing diagrams and I am just not sure how I want to do this. My return to the tank is 3/8 Al. I'm guessing I want to anchor it solid somewhere before connecting the soft lines. Typically that's on the back right of the engine. You got basically the left bank, right bank, filter head, and pump outlet to connect to the tank. I don't want to run 4 separate lines to a common point (that's 5 connections at one spot). So my overarching question is really, does it really matter how they connect together? If so, are there any real don'ts? I assume I probably don't want all the return volume passing through the small return lines. So running everything to 1 bank and having it pass front to rear all on one side is probably less than ideal. I can anchor the hardline somewhere and connect with soft line. Just not sure where to do that. I've seen Brian's fancy connector. I've got my original and a 6.9 original too I think.

What say the collective?

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been using #2 cylinder cap as the IP return line.
filter hose deleted.
#7 & 8 T into my 3/8" return line.

IMO it don't really matter how the fuel gets back to the tank, as long as it does.
and it does not leak.

not a lot of pressure here

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer Mels second diagram, but go to #2 cyl from the IP. Your return line to tank should be 5/16" not 3/8". The 5/16" steel line causes a small restriction to keep the IP supply pressure up, but not enough restriction to allow enough flow to keep IP and injectors "cool".
The fuel supply line is 3/8" to the filter, filter to IP is 5/16".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online