Return line fun!...NOT!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
So today begins my winter maintaince/projects for my diesel. Got my 93 all ready and done, cleaned up the garage, filled the heater tank up and brought Smokie in.

Thought id start with the hard start problem first, since anything more will require it to be down and non-driveable. As i suspected, most the return caps were damp. Stripped off the old return set up, keeping the caps and clamps. Ripped open the new kit like a kid on christmas and got to work cutting all the rubber lines to size (figured id do so since im still realitivly clean). Then i removed the old o-rings, cleaned everything up clean as a whistle. Opened up my goodie bag from Russ which has 100 nice viton o-rings (wasnt gunna use the kits) and gave them a little bath in some 15w40. Put all the o-rings on, starting with the top and then the bottoms, so i dont roll or cut an o-ring. Then i make one side of rubber hose and caps, slide them all well lubed with vasoline. Hear than familiar "click", sinch up the clamps and hunker down the injector lines. Do the other side same fashion and then remove the fuel filter. This is where things went downhill.

This effin filter was overflowin with fuel giving the pass side of the engine a nice bath, along with my arms. Go over the WIF sensor, snugging it down after replacing the o-ring and fill it up with Diesel-Kleen. Snug it up and almost giddy with excitment with thoughts of trouble free starting in my head i clean up my tools, myself and the truck. Then i go to fire the big ******* up and with a few turns of the key it comes to life. I give myself a big "hell ya" and go out to see if i have any leakers. My celebration is cut short as i find the two middle caps droolin that awsome greenish tinted and expensive fluid we all call diesel fuel. Shut it down, clean up the mess and trying to be patient i let it and myself cool down a bit. Replace the 4 o-rings, install caps, install rubber line and clamp and fire it up again. Aww ya, no leakers! Wait...[insert dagwood here] still one leaker.

Replace the o-rings once AGAIN, clean up and fire it up. Still leakin, what the farfrompoopin! Throw tools across garage, clean up said throw tools, walk up house pissed off, almost fell on wet porch walked in the house and almost tripped over the dog. Wash up and jump on oilburners to write humorous thread (at least i hope).

So, one step forward and two steps backwards. Tomorrow or later today im gunna replace that cap with an old one and see if my luck changes. If not im gunna push it out the garage and hope a car hits it in the alley!

One thing i did notice, all 8 caps could be moved about 1/8" with the injector lines installed. Is that normal? I also seen the timing adaptor on #1s threads were a lttle ***** and made it difficult to get the hard line to start. I had to use my thread cleaner to get the boogered part OK again.

If this is how the rest of my time with Smokie in the garage is gunna be, im gunna need more beer and JD! Another thing i noticed, im gettin to fat to be hunched over the radiator! My belly has the imprints to prove it!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok here is a tidbit we have just discovered with the kits, Mel mentioned it before, there is a little flash ring around the bottom of the cap that may be cutting/ distorting the orings. A piece of fine sandpaper around the finger will deburr it quickly and I just spoke with dipaco about this and they are "going to get back with me"..In the meantime ose one of the kit orings between thenut and cap to push the cap snug down on the injector to see if that helps.

Quality control is going to hell and these were ther good guys.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the same trouble and it ended up being that the caps i got with the kit were not exactly round enside they had to mutch play so i used my old ford caps and it has not leaked for three years i also noticed the return line coming from the filter the check valve was bad so i put a still ball in there and mine has started good everytime.i just put a new lift pump on mine and a new cdr valve and it is runing better than ever gettin 20 mpg with wmo mixed in. good luck

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should NOT MOVE THE CAPS AT ALL once pressed down on the injector. The seals break and it leaks.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Hmm, i can move the cap up n down about 1/8" on each cap. Sad thing is, both kits were bought at the same time (winter 07) from the same place.

I guess ill take em all off again and check for flashing and who knows. Glad i aint the only person with this issue. May be givin ya a PM Russ! lol

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the oring between the nut and inj will hold them down.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optikal.... you ain't the only one.

I had similar troubles.... not the old used caps, but my excitement... didn't lube a one, cut two more forcing 'em on etc.

"I know what I'm doin'!" "Jes gett'r dun!" "Yeeeeah!"

Those o-rings are more sensitive than I thought they'd be, even Vitons.

Mickey Moused little freaks!!I think it's the only thing that really ticks me off about the entire system. Once in though, I'm at 6000 miles without an o-ring dilemma!

Like your animated tale though.... moving blankets are my fat belly over radiator cure... doubled up, can almost go to sleep in the engine bay.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
the oring between the nut and inj will hold them down.

forgive me for having a senior moment (only im only 26 haha) but do u mean on top of the cap then screw the injector line down?

Tom, i wish i had blankets! But they id probably fall asleep and pops would come down n be like "*** this aint nap time" I usually doze off on the creeper...But yes these critters are very sensitive. Good thing i got 100 from Russ, cuz i may end up usin em all! lol

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
And another one with Diapco cap flash issues. :(

Are all the caps made by the same company? Remember this kit is from 2007 if that matters. I read on the box it said "contents blah blah blah, components made in Taiwan and Italy" Well i can be them I-Tal-Ians didnt make these caps. Probaly them Tai-Wonder-Why-This-****-Is-Junk-Ese...

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgive me for having a senior moment (only im only 26 haha) but do u mean on top of the cap then screw the injector line down?

Tom, i wish i had blankets! But they id probably fall asleep and pops would come down n be like "*** this aint nap time" I usually doze off on the creeper...But yes these critters are very sensitive. Good thing i got 100 from Russ, cuz i may end up usin em all! lol

I been caught by wifey drooling on the engine once or twice.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Just did a search and saw some familiar results. Now my mind is in overdrive and i am going to check to see which kit i have. Also going to try the old caps n see how they fit on a few injectors. I wasnt going back down tonight but curiosity is getting the best of me.

Id rather no dicky around with adding more o-rings and just order a known good kit. For $38 id rather do it right and not second guess myself for not spending the money later down the road when it leaks like sive.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a search and saw some familiar results. Now my mind is in overdrive and i am going to check to see which kit i have. Also going to try the old caps n see how they fit on a few injectors. I wasnt going back down tonight but curiosity is getting the best of me.

Id rather no dicky around with adding more o-rings and just order a known good kit. For $38 id rather do it right and not second guess myself for not spending the money later down the road when it leaks like sive.

Normally I'd agree with getting the better ones... but in this case, the recommended sanding off the knife edges, or using the old ones won't be any worse than getting new caps. Unless the caps and nipples are cracked/damaged, reuse the old and replace with the kit you have new.

In this case, I'm under the firm belief that it is fragillie from the gitgo and yet one more new/different part will matter a whit.

Lube 'em up like Russ said, take your time replacing caps and tightening injector nuts and I think you'll be dandy....I mean really.... 100 Cheerie-O's is a lot of cereal to play with! And cheep too.

Save the $40 bucks for a new fuel filter or some glow sticks instead.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not just dipaco, the pensacola kit is worse and if you think the IH one is better, I just helped a bud install one and guess what its made in the exact same mold as the dipaco.

Nothing is made in US anymore, these are mexico and it aint gonna get any better, so if you get one that is perfect and it fits and doesnt give any problems, Which Ron obviously found, it must be really old stock.
I think optiks problem is he installed dry, didnt your daddy teach you nothin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828