Return line fun!...NOT!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Ok guys, couple things. I went and played with it a little more. Have some pics and vids ill upload after i shower n shave.

1st, check all the old caps...no ridges or flash. Remember my kit was bought in 07, made in Sept 07 (stamped on the box). The new caps i took off hand no flash either.

2nd, i tried...
- Supplied o-rings, new cap
- Supplied o-rings, old cap
- Russ o-rings, new cap (again)
- Russ o-rings, old cap
They all leaked like a sieve and moved up n down. This was on the only injector that was leaking.
- Tried Russ o-rings, new cap, extra (supplied) o-ring on top of cap under injector line. Stopped leaking, no movement. Went to another cap, made video, leaking now...Same trick (3 o-rings) no leak.

Tomorrow all new o-rings with thrid on top for everyone except the two i did. Also found a few SERIOUS issues, i knew it was bad but didnt think it progressed this far this fast. If i find anymore suprises like this one, i may end up getting rid of it. Been wanting/needing a newer truck, next big issue may be the final straw. Not that i want to but i cant keep two older trucks repaired/running plus work on my Comet, look/buy/pay for a house/stuff for a house. And no, this return line isnt what i mean, this is a drop in the bucket.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, couple things. I went and played with it a little more. Have some pics and vids ill upload after i shower n shave.

1st, check all the old caps...no ridges or flash. Remember my kit was bought in 07, made in Sept 07 (stamped on the box). The new caps i took off hand no flash either.

2nd, i tried...
- Supplied o-rings, new cap
- Supplied o-rings, old cap
- Russ o-rings, new cap (again)
- Russ o-rings, old cap
They all leaked like a sieve and moved up n down. This was on the only injector that was leaking.
- Tried Russ o-rings, new cap, extra (supplied) o-ring on top of cap under injector line. Stopped leaking, no movement. Went to another cap, made video, leaking now...Same trick (3 o-rings) no leak.

Tomorrow all new o-rings with thrid on top for everyone except the two i did. Also found a few SERIOUS issues, i knew it was bad but didnt think it progressed this far this fast. If i find anymore suprises like this one, i may end up getting rid of it. Been wanting/needing a newer truck, next big issue may be the final straw. Not that i want to but i cant keep two older trucks repaired/running plus work on my Comet, look/buy/pay for a house/stuff for a house. And no, this return line isnt what i mean, this is a drop in the bucket.

WOW!!!

I guess I'm just lucky!

There's got to be an out of tolerance issue beyond some simple lip. Anyone miked them yet? Out of round?? Have an old one laying around that wasn't necessarily bad but replaced just cuz??

This is gettin' beyond the inconvenience of sanding out a few lips.

BTW- it's crap like this.... quality control.... that put Evinrude/Johnson out of business. It wasn't that their Ficht system was crap, it was the out of spec cranks and other critical parts that fragged those engines. Everyone thought it was the Ficht Injection and computer software. Discovered all too late... Canucks discovered it in the inventory inspections when Bombardier took over out of bankruptcy..... those were American inspectors passing off crap to Americans.... I'm sorry to have to say that too. I loved American made Evinrudes. The Canucks have done well since.

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I will see what i can do tomorrow. I have two slide calipers, telescoping bore gauges and mics...

I dont even know where the hell i got this kit from, its 4 years old! lol

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
ok here we go with the pics and video. *edit* cant find the video...

box:
You must be registered for see images attach

Caps:

suprise i found:

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya join the club of constant return problems.. I think mines finally sealed up, but i'm not 100% sure yet.. If not i'll be getting ahold of you russ for another kit and about 100 more vitons... I remember mine had a ridge at the bottom, i did'nt sand it off becouse i was un aware of the problem. Thought that was normal...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score

not normal i suppose!

I also seen my cab is beginging to rot worse then i thought, the bed is eating itself from the inner wheels wells out and the rear part of the frame is starting to look rough. If i find more rot rot its going bye bye! Dont have time or money to waste on a **** case!

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Machined return caps?

Wasn't there someone on Oil Burners who was going to make return caps out of machined brass. I thought I remembered a thread about it. I know they would be pricey, but then all you have to do is change the o-rings and never replace the caps. I never did see a price, but it sounded like a good idea.

Archie

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that aswell.. Machined brass oluminum caps would awsome and well worth the extra coin..

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish the injectors were made with the caps molded into them. i got to lookin at some injectors outta a 2670 case 4wd tractor, if we had something like the ones that go in that tractor, we'd never have issues...

and ive changed orings and caps and different orings, i still have air intrusion issues too

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there someone on Oil Burners who was going to make return caps out of machined brass. I thought I remembered a thread about it. I know they would be pricey, but then all you have to do is change the o-rings and never replace the caps. I never did see a price, but it sounded like a good idea.

Archie[/QUOTE
Ford truck enthusiasts is where a guy has some machined caps.
Glad im not the only one having a problem:D

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks GW Buffalo for finding that link. Let us know if he responds to you PM. I would be interested in a set if they are still making them.

Thanks,
Archie