Return line empty

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So I have a baby moose on the 6.9 and when I drive it, I can get it to smoke. I don't stand on it too much because my pyro for some reason sticks and does not give me the right temps. Runs better than before, but I need to get it timed.

Now, when I look at my return lines (they are clear because I was having starting issues and wanted to rule out the fuel), there is no fuel on the driver's side in the return lines...NONE. Is my lift pump too weak to be pushing the fuel? I did notice yesterday when I was just sitting there testing the pyro that when I was holding a steady throttle (probably about 2500ish because the tach also no workie) that just prior to letting off, it sped up. This made me think the pump was running out of fuel. I did not want to do it again because like I said, the pyro does not work.

So, do you think I am not getting enough fuel at the IP from the lift pump? I have an electric procomp on it now. I have one of the carrier pumps, but have not had a chance to put it on. Is there a way to test other than a fuel pump pressure gauge at the filter head to see if there is a lack of pressure? The lines on the pass side have fuel in them, but that is where the bypass dumps prior to the IP.

SWS

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
well i'd stick a pressure gauge on the inlet and see what your pressures are at.

I had a holley red crap out and i tried the mr gasket chinese version of those pumps (aka new procomp pump) and i got tired of the driveability issues so i went to the carrier pump which was great till i knocked the bowl off.

with my mix of fuel, the mechanical pump does very good. its why i haven't bothered to replace the electric pump yet but i will soon but plumb it in parallel so i can prime the motor if i need to.

edit: i have a liquid filled pressure gauge that stays permanently mounted in the engine compartment so if i have a drive ability issue i can quickly look. I had installed it when i had issues with pumps and its stayed, kinda nice too as i can see when my filters are getting plugged.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have had numerous electric pumps on different idis and I have decided to stick to mechanical ones. I will never go electric again. A good fresh mechanical pump will give you more fuel at the IP than you will ever need. And they are more reliable then the electric ones no doubt.

I have never had flow issues with a mech pump. Whenever they have failed on me I get a fuel drainback no start issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online