Restarting

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
my truck starts right up and runs fine every morning...if i shut it off and restart it within 5-10 mins. it fine. any longer and it cranks and cranks while i work the pedal! does this mean i need a new IP? if so &*@^$!(*&@#&^$#@!&($#!@&^$ - :mad: :mad: :mad: why me diesel gods :hail :hail :hail
-whew, glad i got that out....

So whats the verdict gentlemen

not looking forward to spending another 7-8 hundred bucks right before i go to college...although My IP change could be a nice activity for our 3 person IDI west coast rally :rotflmao

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Try putting cool water or ice on the injection pump. IF that makes a differance, it's time for a pump. :Sly

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just be an air leak? This used to happen to me all the time, went with electric fuel pump and squared away all the fuel lines, and the truck starts great. Scotty

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
funny thing about the whole deal is if i hold the GP's on for 5-6 seconds(even though its fairly warm, and shouldn't take that long) it has been firing right up :confused:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is weird...

What's your oil consumption like? Do you get any unusual smoke out of the exhaust?

I'm wondering if a compression check might be in order...

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
i know cookoo

oil consumption is maybe 1 quart every 1,500 miles...RDT doesnt blow a lot of smoke and exhaust is pretty standard...only smokes black with pedal to the floor :D

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
i put some cool water on the pump this morning after refusing to restart and it still gave me trouble...how much water would be needed... i definetely dont want to invest big bucks if that isnt my propblem...scotty i dont think i have an air leak cuz it fires awesome every morning first thing :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it starts fine cold and doesn't stall out, there's no air in the lines. you have a IP warning you that its on its way out. Personally, if I have a long trip in the near future, I would be looking into changing the IP now before it leaves you stranded in a truckstop.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
towcat said:
if it starts fine cold and doesn't stall out, there's no air in the lines. you have a IP warning you that its on its way out. Personally, if I have a long trip in the near future, I would be looking into changing the IP now before it leaves you stranded in a truckstop.

thanks towcat...im leaving for CO in 3 wks... :mad: :mad: do i need to do injectors also? @#%$ haha