Reommendations for chip/programmer

Flat Twin

Reaction score
Let me bring an old thread back up. Since this thread was started almost 4 years ago, any new recommendations on these systems? See a lot people talking about Edge, but then others like Bully or other systems.

I have a 2002 24v and its box stock. Need to add either gauges or a Edge type system to see what is going on in both the engine and fuel pressure system. The truck had has one replacement injector pump installed on it (reconditioned sticker on it) but other than that its totally stock. 111,000 miles, 6 speed and no heavy towing done with it.

TIA,

Joe

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
My preference is a set of real gauges. I had DiPricol in my '00 Cummins and they looked great. You will need boost and EGT in cab. There are kits that let you put a fuel pressure gauge under the hood and you could set-up an in-cab warning light. I think Geno's garage has something like that if I remember right.

For the power upgrade, the Edge box is good. I had the DiabloSport Power Puck and liked it, but having multiple power levels and control would be better. In my experience the programmers don't give you the same good power as a box, but that's just my $0.02.

Flat Twin

Reaction score
RH,

Thanks for the input. To tell the truth I do not really need more power as I rarely tow anything, but need the truck to be reliable and from reading what I have seen here and on 1973Mopar's forum, you need to keep an eye on the LP pump pressure, so need something.

Not really wanting to spend $600 for the Edge Juice or something like it, but as well do like the adaptability that it gives you. As well like being able to monitor all the systems on the engine and fuel system would be nice.

Another question. Have looked on the internet for specs on the 24v engine and so far have not found a good source. What is the usual boost pressure on this engine? Have seen several people say that they have a boost gauge that reads to 30 psi and their engine (or wastegate) maxes out at 8 psi, so its a bit of overkill with a gauge that barely moves on the scale.

Thx,

Joe

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
As a general rule, you will make 1 psi of boost for every 10 hp. That being said, my '00 Cummins made about 20 psi or before the wastegate would kick in and I think it would peter out around 25.

A great site for specifications on the Cummins trucks is www.dodgeram.org It has all you need to know.

In regards to your fuel issues, there are aftermarket kits that pretty much eliminates the troublesome LP on the Cummins trucks. I know Geno's has some of the kits. If you're sticking with the factory setup, all you really need is a test gauge under the hood so that when you fuel up you can check the status. The full gauges are very nice and very useful and a full set should run you about $400ish.

Flat Twin

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. If the system will be making 20-25 psi, then a 30 psi gauge (or readout) will work fine. Just did not want to get a 30 psi gauge when the wastegate on the truck popped off at 8-10 psi. In that case a 15 psi gauge would work better for me.

To tell the truth, if I was going to spend $400 for gauges alone, would save a bit longer and get an Edge or Bully that does the readouts and also allows you to adjust your engine settings.

Thx,

Joe

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
True. It's mostly about preference. I would caution you against BullyDog. In my experience, BD is nothing more than a repackaged Edge unit. This may not be the case now, but I know for a fact that it used to be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7