Removing several leafs from a lift leaf pack?

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have a set of 4" leaf skyjacker leaf-packs, that I would like to use with the original drop brackets.. I have already pulled that plate on the bottom of the leaf-pack and the bottom leaf, which dropped it down about 2". But that was not enough, the camber need to be adjusted in about 4-5 degrees, which is to much for comfort and outside the range of the adjustable bushings. Soooo, can I pull one more leaf (leaving 3), and supplement the setup with air bags?:confused: Or will it possible be to soft (vertical and/or axle wrap issues)?

Background story is that I pulled my 2-piece skyjacker drop brackets from the dana 50, since they caused several issues. They narrowed in at the bottom, probably caused by the crossmember, which made the middle u-joint grind at the axle arms and twisted the bushings inside the drop brackets. Also, the dropped pitman arm struggled with the 37" tires so I wanted the original pitman arm back.

The old standard leafs are worn out, the truck nearly rested on the bumpstops and was dangerous to drive. So they won't go back in the truck.

Almost instantly after installing the lift a year ago I pulled the bottom leaf, and that plate on the bottom of the skyjacker 4" lift leaf packs, since the truck rode as a *****. Removing the leafs made the ride quite good, but it lowered the truck close to 2" and I had to adjust the camber quite a bit to compensate, since the axle now sat in i slight "v"-angle. And that angle annoyed me, so I wanted to straighten it up, or get it at a slight "^"-angle.

Optionally I can drill new holes and cut down the brackets, making them 2" drop brackets, but they will still narrow in at the bottom, and even though the clearence between the middle u-joint and the axle beams will increase, the bushings will still be twisted. And I would prefer not to swap out the brackets again -cuss

sootman73

Reaction score
when you say the old springs were worn out are you sure? normal distance from spring to bump stop is only a finger thickness to 3/4" at the most. now with that information are they still worn out in your mind? Just trying to confirm "facts" before you spend money and arent happy with the difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7