Remote Transmission Filter

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting this thing back together and based on research and suggestions from you guys I want to put an auxilary transmission cooler and fitler set-up on... I did some looking and only a handful of companies sell a kit for remote transmission filter....

So I was thinking would a remote oil filter kit work to filter the transmission fluid? I think I can get that very cheap! What kind of set-ups are you guys using?

Where in the flow line should I put the filter for best protection?

I had to drop a bunch of cash to get a good torque converter but the trans I have is questionable so I want to protect the torque converter if the tranny goes!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An oil filter kit will work, you can get different micron elements for that thread. It goes in the line to the cooler, you always want to try and filter hot oil.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my filter kit from JEGS...it's called a Perma Cool. You can get it with or without the port for the tranny temp gauge. I can't remember now what I paid but it wasn't that expensive. If you look at my post about my truck remodel there are some front end pics showing where I mounted the filter and my aux coolers.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
I just got on the Summit Racing website and I think I answered my own question. They did not have all these listings this cheap last time I looked. The only one I found was a Bully Diesel kit that was $200!...

Oh well here is what I found:
Summit SUM-G4980 - Summit® Remote Transmission Filter: $31.95
Quote:
"Protect your transmission from damaging particles.

Our Summit® remote transmission filter kits keep more metal shavings and gunk out of your transmission fluid than your stock filter alone. They use a Fram PH8A/HP1 or equivalent oil filter, along with your stock transmission filter screen, to provide twice the protection."

An oil filter kit will work, you can get different micron elements for that thread. It goes in the line to the cooler, you always want to try and filter hot oil.

From what I read and understand... Wouldn't it be better to put it inline but after the cooler in the return line... That way it catches the stuff before it goes back into the trans?

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
I got my filter kit from JEGS...it's called a Perma Cool. You can get it with or without the port for the tranny temp gauge. I can't remember now what I paid but it wasn't that expensive. If you look at my post about my truck remodel there are some front end pics showing where I mounted the filter and my aux coolers.

Thanks!

I like the idea of a trans-temp port. Adding a trans temp guage was near the top of the list of things to put in to monitor my trans health and wellness. I was wondering where I was gonna put the probe. I know there is a port on the tranny some where...

This seems like a good condition to see what temp the fluid is returning to the trans at...

Where are the pics of your remodel?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Oh well here is what I found:
Summit SUM-G4980 - Summit® Remote Transmission Filter: $31.95
From what I read and understand... Wouldn't it be better to put it inline but after the cooler in the return line... That way it catches the stuff before it goes back into the trans?

That's the one I have, although I drilled mine for the temp sender I had for the Chevy trans (they do have one already drilled and with the sender). And I have mine before the cooler (not running the one in the radiator). I don't know which way is better.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the wife and the newer truck post. :D You can see where I mounted the filter and head on the frame passenger side. I'm trying to remember.....I can look tomorrow to be sure but I believe I came from the tranny to the filter down to the stock tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator then to aux cooler 1 and then another aux cooler then back to the tranny. Not a bad install...made a huge huge difference in my tranny temps!! ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online