Recommendations for a used RV?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to have the truck road worthy some time this summer and I'm starting to think about next summer. I've been wanting to start camping again. The little one is getting old enough to make if fun so I'm starting to think about a trailer.

I'll need it for a family of 4 minium but could be up to 6 at times. I'm not really married to 5th wheel or bumper pull (I've pulled both a little... 5th wheel much less). I'm guessing I'm going to want something in the 25-30 ft kind of range but to be honest, it's been a really long time since I have looked at them. Shower would be nice. Tip outs for a little extra space would be nice. I don't really care about decor so much so ugly 90's curtains and furniture is fine. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on this because it probably would get used a couple times a year at most right now if that. I'll be pulling it with my 91 F-250 which should be Moosed and turboed by then if things go to plan.

Any recommendations on brand/size/shape? How have rigs been holding up with reasonable care? Anything to stay away from? Is that reasonable with my truck? It will be 3.55's with 5 speed.

I don't care if its 20 years old if it's in good shape. I'm about to hitch up to my dad's 1978 trailer and take it for a weekend with some guys if that tells you anything. It's in amazing shape for being 35 +yrs old.

Thanks!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care if its 20 years old if it's in good shape. I'm about to hitch up to my dad's 1978 trailer and take it for a weekend with some guys if that tells you anything. It's in amazing shape for being 35 +yrs old.
Shouldn't that tell you the story right there.
Most all RV's are built to handle 4 people, two in a bed, two on a couch or dinette into a bed. A bunk house RV will handle six and sometimes eight people. Do some search on the net, or local RV Sales.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would avoid trailers made by forest river. I have a 2006 Forest River Flagstaff and it is a poorly assembled pile of very nice components. It looked nice when I bought it, but every time I turn around something on it breaks that was not designed to be fixed... storage doors screwed to only to 1/8th inch plywood, blind rivet pivots on rock shield, and pocket doors hung from the ceiling plywood with no reinforcement.
Thankfully I think I have it sold. I am going back to my 1975 argosy which is a much better built trailer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's the type of information I was looking for. I've not even heard of most of the what seem common brands anymore.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
This has been my experience if you want quality:

Blue Bird Wanderlodge ($$$ though, even used)
Executive (Sand Piper, etc)
Holiday Rambler/Monaco

Executive is a monaco brand now

anything after that, well, it's junk. Fleetwood, etc etc