Rebuilt Injection Pump Installed now low on power

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys i get the point I'll time it like I've already said i will once i get the fueling or lack of problem fixed....with that said I've turned the screw 3 flats now and its getting better but still see absolutely no smoke even under heavy load and egts are still low so guess I'll be turning it some more..

Just keep turning up the fuel and you'll get something like this, a sheared shaft. STOP STOP STOP turning it up until you time it.

Attachments

• DVC01456.JPG
    DVC01456.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 8
  • DVC01460.JPG
    DVC01460.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 8

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't seem to be reaching you. You will NEVER see black smoke until it is timed.

Ranger5.0L

Reaction score
Timing by ear to get me close till i can afford the tools to time this has never been done before lol you guys are killing me i have a guy telling me the pump was set up for a n/a truck and to turn the pump up (which has been done by about every one on this site) and then guys saying im gonna break the shaft if i touch the fuel screw

Mel, my old pump was never timed except by ear when i bought it and had no issues with getting a little black smoke when towing can you explain that to me??I'm sure theres others on this site that are in the same boat i am and are having no issues

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I believe all the uhaul trucks were non turbo, so none of the IPs were set up for one. Add to that, a pump can't be set up for a particular truck running a particular turbo, etc, etc. Play with the timing until it's running as good as it can and then go back to adjusting the fuel. No one can tell you how many turns you can go until it's bottomed out. Every pump is going to be different based on where the rebuilder set it during the reuild. If the screw starts to bind up, stop and back it off because you're maxed out.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever set up a gas engine at base timing to get it to run and tried to DRIVE it that way? Low or no power until you bump that timing, right? The same thing applies with your diesel. All you did was set the base timing to get it to fire. Until you set the timing the proper way, you're wasting your time fiddling with the fuel screw. Yes, it probably needs to be turned up some to add fuel to go with the extra air from the turbo, but none of that matters if the timing isn't right.

I bought the Snap On MT1480 digital timing meter on eBay when I went through the fuel system on my truck, made the timing quick and easy. The truck was night-and-day different once I had the timing set properly. Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a timing meter and get it done the RIGHT way!

Ryan

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, my old pump was never timed except by ear when i bought it and had no issues with getting a little black smoke when towing can you explain that to me??I'm sure theres others on this site that are in the same boat i am and are having no issues

Advancing the timing will make it smoke more. You can turn the fuel screw all day but it won't help if you are retarded.

Ranger5.0L

Reaction score
Anyone near waterloo Iowa with a meter
my buddy works at ford but Im waiting for him to find out if they have the right tools.for.timing this thing...says they work on more of these trucks then anything else

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Timing by ear to get me close till i can afford the tools to time this has never been done before lol you guys are killing me i have a guy telling me the pump was set up for a n/a truck and to turn the pump up (which has been done by about every one on this site) and then guys saying im gonna break the shaft if i touch the fuel screw

I think you're misinterpreting what's being said. Yes, you need timing. Yes you can time it by ear. No, a uhaul pump does NOT come set up to put out enough fuel for a turbo. Yes you can turn it up to get the fuel correct.

However BE CAREFUL! If you go to far, you will break off the fuel screw like oldbull says, and no one knows how much it will take to do that. If you advance too much, you burn up your glowplugs, again without a meter who knows how far you are going. We're not saying don't do this, we're telling you to be f'in cautious. (with a capital F)

The safe way, is wait till you can get a meter (or a ferret adapter for your timing light) Time it, then gently bump up the fuel until you're happy, but not burning your pistons up.

The right now way, carefully time it by ear. CAREFULLY! Then bump the fuel up until your EGT's look normal. (this can get you close, and if you're really lucky, even dead on)

Currently, it may be kinda a dog, but it's not eating itself alive. If you play with it willy nilly, it could blow up in just a few miles. So the general census sounds like: be patient, and get a hold of the tools you need. We're (usually) a careful bunch, especially with advice. Please don't be put off.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
There is always the possibility that the IP is bad, inside. But until you know that the timing is right, you got too many variables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online