Rebuilding a F250 title to a F150

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, there were no light duty or regular f250's with diesel engines, they were all 250HD.

How hard is it to import parts? Could you buy just the engine and transmission and swap it in the f150 you already have? The guys on here might have a recommendation on a good place to buy a rebuilt engine and transmission, and just have it shipped.

I have never swapped a idi into a f150, but I think a few have and may know what you need to do it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, there were no light duty or regular f250's with diesel engines, they were all 250HD.

Expect for a handful of first year (1983) IDI trucks that have been reported around here of being light duty versions,over the years.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guy's , i think that i'll either bring back enough gear to convert my 87 or i'll bring back a 1/2 ton ext cab 4wd and enough parts for a zf idi conversion ..... i do a bit of work on small *** diesel trucks so i have a few smaller turbos laying around my workshop - reading some of the turbo threads on here has me thinking about remote mounting twin turbo setups :peelout

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the last trip a friend came with me and we wound up bringing 2 c3 corvettes and a 79 K10 swb back ...... the truck was cheap and we spent more on paint and panel plus interior and some mechanical work than we actually made on it. First trip over i brought a nice 93 bronco for 5k and it flew through certification so i know exactly what you mean..... if i could work the 250 issue out this is the kind of thing i'd like to wind up with https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6086093699.html
they dropped the price on that truck again.
biggest concern in buying a non-runner for that much money.
that truck is guaranteed a 8600lb truck.
to be a 7200lb SC truck, you will need to be a small block gasser.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they dropped the price on that truck again.
biggest concern in buying a non-runner for that much money.
that truck is guaranteed a 8600lb truck.
to be a 7200lb SC truck, you will need to be a small block gasser.
Yes the bit that worried me about that advert was the fact he said that it couldn't be worked on in the storage facility ..... been caught before like that :( , when something is too good to be true ...... it normally has a fishook or two. I think you're right about the gasser sc track - i'd get enough coin for the gas engine back here to go a fair way towards covering the cost of a idi / zf combination to convert it to diesel. What i need to do now is find out what the max legal front axle loading of a 92 -96 4x4 150 is so that dropping an idi in there would still comply out here.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the bit that worried me about that advert was the fact he said that it couldn't be worked on in the storage facility ..... been caught before like that :( , when something is too good to be true ...... it normally has a fishook or two. I think you're right about the gasser sc track - i'd get enough coin for the gas engine back here to go a fair way towards covering the cost of a idi / zf combination to convert it to diesel. What i need to do now is find out what the max legal front axle loading of a 92 -96 4x4 150 is so that dropping an idi in there would still comply out here.
diesel bronco conversions are very common, they're heavy but not out of the world heavy. my SC 4x4 with a D60 axle in front, trips the scales @ 4k/lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online