rear tank capacity

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 93 F350, what is the capacity of my rear tank? I filled it to the top with wmo and ran it till it sputtered. Total miles 294 and I'm wondering what my mileage is. I'm thinking my mileage is better than I thought.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19 gallon and if your odometer is correct comes to 15.4 mpg, Not to shabby.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well rockauto lists both an 18 and 19 gallon so I guess it could be either.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. My odometer is 1 mph slow at 60, so pretty close. Note bad with a bad injector and timed by ear. I've been tweaking the timing for best economy for 3 or 4 months.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My 89 truck operaters hand book from ford says its 17.2 gallons but... Are you sure it sucked all the fuel to the bottom of the tank. Usually the pickups are broken off and that leaves 1/4 tank of fuel. Refill and post back how many gallons it takes. If its around 12 then you left 1/4 tank on the plate because the pickup is broken off...

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW both my '84 shop manual and owner's manual say that both the front and rear tanks are 19 gallons. But, maybe they made the tank slightly smaller in later years, or maybe they re-measured it at some point?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
FWIW both my '84 shop manual and owner's manual say that both the front and rear tanks are 19 gallons. But, maybe they made the tank slightly smaller in later years, or maybe they re-measured it at some point?

it definately changed with body changes

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 truck operaters hand book from ford says its 17.2 gallons but... Are you sure it sucked all the fuel to the bottom of the tank. Usually the pickups are broken off and that leaves 1/4 tank of fuel. Refill and post back how many gallons it takes. If its around 12 then you left 1/4 tank of the plate because the pickup is broken off...

I harpooned my tanks a few months ago because the fuel pickups broke off and crumbled into little bits and stopped filters and fuel line up repeatedly. I now have a 3/8 fuel line with a nylon T going to the bottom of my clean rear tank. My front tank has a brass 1/4 T.