rdgreene 97 f350

rdgreene

Reaction score
Hello i am new to the diesel truck. I have a 1997 f350 crew cab drw auto, truck has high mileage 390k.Was working good when i got it in august, now not so good. Started one evening idled fine, when started down the street it felt like it was running out of fuel, and missing, went about another 50 feet then quit. Cranks over ok, cranking rpm is good, white smoke from exhaust when cranking. Will start if held to the floor, runs like a bag of crap will not idle and only ran long enough to get it back to the driveway. Now it sits waiting for me to repair. When it starts, after holding the throttle to the floor, it seems to be running only on the right bank, the left side manifold stays cold. Has no power at all. Now what i need is some help in figuring out how to check the system with basic tools. No scanners in my tool box for working on diesels. The dealer is happy to charge 3hr min shop time to check the truck and i seem to think thats just a little too much with a flatdeck charge on top. Any help is appreciated. R Greene :dunno

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your oil level. The PSD uses the motor oil to fire the fuel injectors. If the oil level gets low it will aerate and the injectors will not fire or not fire correctly.

PSD uses 15 quarts, I think at about 4 quarts low it will start running bad.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just something to add the the posts. If you run it low on oil till it quits you need to reset the breaker switch. No I don't know where it is but its there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online