rare to idle off the bat

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I have been driving this truck around, I have noticed that it will rarely idle below 1000rpm and recently has been wanting to idle up to 2000rpm. I have looked at the throttle arm on the ip when acting up and it is at full close. I am losing a lot of oil when running and unsure how much is leaking out, thought fixed the valve cover but is leaking again and might be the valley pan as well. It will also ack like low power from time to time up shifting then will get a surge where power returns, this is not a no power situation. It also seems to be putting up a excessive amount of a gray smoke screen when accelerating.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds like an IP issue to me. What is the condition of your IP? I can't remember if you replaced it during your recent rebuild.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Condition of the IP is unkown and was clogged from sitting so long, have resolved that issue with it I think.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm still leaning toward the IP, but hopefully someone with more IP knowledge than me will chime in soon.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea not sure not next step, so went looking and thinking on it. What I came up with to try next is see if there is a sticky/jammed metering valve or any the levers for valves sticking inside, will looking into that tomorrow.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pulled the top off the pump I found it dry, so some how I am getting air in the system and is something that needs resolved. I will be putting the second filter back on, I noticed it being more old than before after I messed with them. I have had ~3 times of air in the filter head after shutdown, did not think much of that with how rare it occured. The metering valve was clean and working so guess will chase leaks for now, that is unless this is heat soak issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running a single filter as I have the heads dose not seem to turn out well, it dose not blead out like them in dual. In dual can get it so fuel just falls out the bleaders, while in single best I get is what looks like a aerosol pressure stream. Took a short ride and would return to idle without the surge, so will see how this gose.

You must be registered for see images attach