Ranger won't turn over...ignition switch?

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this may not get a lot of hits but I am trying to fix an old Ford Ranger with teh 2.3L Mistu gas engine. Started and ran great but then was just DEAD. I tried chargiing the batt, even tried another batt. Still nothing! Tried jumping the starter solenoid manually, key on....nothing! Does this mean that the Ign. switch is dead? If so is this a hard fix on an '89? Thanks for your input

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It sounds more like it has a blown fuse somewhere. Or possibly a blown fusable link. Manuallly bypassing the starter solenoid should have made it crank so I dont know what to make of that. Start checking fuses and fuse links.
Good Luck
Ken

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
another thing to check, since I've been going thru this on my bronco is, if the starter has a dead spot, is it close to the exhaust manifold? and if it is, is the heat shield still in place? no heat shield will lead to a dead spot/burnout on a starter in no time.

is there anyway you can get it towed to adv. auto, or autozone? they should be able to test your whole ignition system and troubleshoot it for ya to get you the right parts.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neutral saftey switch (if auto) or clutch engaged switch (if five speed)?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure your ground connection is very good.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker

forgot about those...good one!

for some reason my auto /neutral switch wasn't making up one day on the bronco, but that somehow resolved itself and hasn't been a prob since:confused:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker

For learning purposes only, Im not calling ya out, But would not jumping the siliniod over ride those safety switches? Chevys have the siliniod right on the starter, but the fords are on the fender...???????

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ISurvivedNMU
For learning purposes only, Im not calling ya out, But would not jumping the siliniod over ride those safety switches? Chevys have the siliniod right on the starter, but the fords are on the fender...???????

I'm not sure, I was tossing out switches that I know will diable the starter. Going right to the solenoid may bypass those switches.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know at least one of the grounds is VERY nasty, my brother and I were wondering if it could be the starter relay switch, or would jumping the solenoid override that?Where is teh neutral start safety switch located? Thanks!
J.D.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a friend with a 94? Bronco.... manual... Jumping the solenoid will override the clutch switch.. he jumped his ahead a foot in first gear....DUnno if that helps....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets start with the basics, does he have radio/headlights/chassis electrical? If so, does it dim or go away when the key is turned? Get that ground cleaned up. I had a similar problem on a 65 mustang once upon a time. By the time I got done replacing nearly all the ignition/charging components all I had to do was replace a ground cable. And oddly enough, that ground cable wasnt what I would have called "bad" as in all corroded or growing fuzz on it.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have to work tomorropw and then off to spend teh weekend wioth my g/f in S. Fla. After that I will get a new set of clamps for teh batteries and clean my grounds good....then let y'all know. Yes, I have lights cab and head....no hint of a start. ANd yes the cables were nasty, but now I think I'm seeing good metal-metal contact......I hate electrionics...one reason I'ma diesel man.
J.D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online