Ranger 2.3L cranks normally but no start

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I finally got my ranger engine to turn over. As 95_Stroker and others suggested it was corroded connections causing the trouble. Now it won't fire! This truck ran great, it was my first vehicle and it was only parked because I enjoy driving my IDI more. It started immediately even after sitting until I had the no crank problem I posted about a couple months back. Is there any electric switch or something I could have messed withj that willallow it to crank but not start or anything else I ought to rule ought, or is it just standard gas motor procedure check for fuel+spark+compression+air=bang? In a related thread...how is the easiest way to check for spark in this engine. Its an 89, fuel injected model.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD, that year has 8 spark plugs, correct? Dunno about troubleshooting these. I still have my 86, which was parked 3 years ago due to rust. Would like to give it away to a good home. She had 268K on it, and the only time it ever let me sit was when a $19 hal effect sensor went out in the distributor. Don't know if you year has one of those, but you might check it. Another possibility is your timing belt rotted and broke, so I'd look at that too.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that's right on the 8 spark plugs Mel. I agree good little engine. Where is the distributor located at on this truck? Thanks,

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, what kind of fuel pump do these things have? No I had no stabilizer in teh fuel. Its not THAT old, only since right befoire thanksgiving(I think).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jdkline said:
Ok, what kind of fuel pump do these things have? No I had no stabilizer in teh fuel. Its not THAT old, only since right befoire thanksgiving(I think).

The distributor on mine was right where you could see it, on the drivers side of the engine. Maybe yours has a coil pack. You might check your fuel pump collision switch. Perhaps it kicked out some how. Pull a plug and leave it hooked to the wire to see if your getting spark.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok pulled the spark plug on the back passenger side. No spark, tried grounding it, still no spark. I also noticed that this particular plug was quite loose in the head. At this point, I'm wondering what's up. Even tried a shot of white death into the air intake, didn't even cough. Can smell gasoline while cranking. All this makes me think there is NO SPARK. So now the question is why. Is this gonna be the coil pack or is there some fuse or ground I nee dto look at first before I panic? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online