Ram air upgrade anyone

Whit

Reaction score
OK here's the story,
The ram air inlet has a buterfly plate in it that I can control from the cab, I also have a temp senser in the inlet air horn just before combustion, I maintain 70 to 90* at the horn and my milage has increased by 1 to 1.5 mpg, the cool inlet air also helps on EGT's. When it is raining or snowing I simply close the valve and suck underhood air. from the back of the inductor I have 2 pipes of 3" diameter feeding the filter, I have since gone with the progaurd AFE and tossed the BHAF and also painted the ram inlet black to match.

Dont pay attention to those punny wheels as I now have 19.5's on

Cheers, Kevin

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Powerstroke homemade ram air setup

In my Powerstroke I have a similar Donaldson open air filter element. Due to the layout under my hood, the filter is situated behind the driver's side battery and gets very little cold fresh air. I realized that the hose from my shop-vac (2" diameter)fits perfectly through an opening under my radiator support and the vacuum nozzle fits perfectly behind an opening in my bumper. I attached the nozzle to the bumper, fed the hose up under the radiator support and to the Donaldson. WOW, what an improvement in acceleration and it also feels like it has more power. Although I have no gauges, I know that the EGTs are lower. Since summer is our bone dry season in California, I plan on leaving it until the rains return in the late fall. At that time I'll puncture a few water drain holes at the lowest point of the hose so the filter never gets wet. This is the least costly mod I've done and one of the best...;Sweet

Sorry no photos...yet

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I have no gauges, I know that the EGTs are lower.

While I am not saying that you are wrong, you may be. Get the gauges and report back, you may be surprised.

Hell, I have seen a newer Dodge that got a simple hood change that resulted in more torque of all things!

You see grasshopper, anything is possible, but not probable. You do the math.

:moon: :sorry:

Dave

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Grasshopper, I never tow. I don't own a trailer. I don't plan on getting gauges. I don't plan on getting a chip. I don't plan on getting upgraded injectors. I know the EGTs are lower because all things being the same, with more air in and more air out (my 3" downpipe) why would they be higher? READ THIS THREAD If you are at all familiar with the 94-97 Powerstroke, the stock airbox is of a poor design and the stock downpipe after the turbo is squashed like a cobra snake's head. Adding a 3" downpipe and Tymar open air filter cools EGTs. Adding the homemade ram air allows more and cooler air. I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' GAUGES TO TELL ME WHAT'S OBVIOUS :sorry: DUDE. I agree we disagree.

Last edited:

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped a buddy modify his air system similar to what you described. All things being equal, you should be right, but, in my buddies case, EGTs were INCREASED. We knew this of course because of the use of gauges. So one cannot assume the results.

We actually designed a plenum that looked really funny, but helped EGTs down about 75-100 degrees from the original baseline.

Any mod can obviously be a double edge sword, but it is good to quantify results.

BTW, I don't tow trailers or do anything crazy either. I can tell you that the boost and EGT gauges came in handy when one of my intercooler boots popped and I didn't realize it.

To each thier own.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online