Radiator size for 6.9L

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
so a fan clutch won't work from a IH 6.9 in a loadstar? i'd need the pump and fan clutch? i'll have to look, i'd much rather a fixed fan but if i can't find an adaptor i'll get the clutch.....ooo yeah, i need a fan too... any ideas for a sweet cooling combo?? :dunno

-Jon

2manydsls

Reaction score
Both the 83 and the 84 both had AC and radiators were the same height. I had both trucks side by side and considered swapping radiators. But i figured Ford must have decided the extra large rad wasn't needed. (hindsight on my part)
I did end up swapping rear ends as I'd ordered limited slip on the 83, but the 84 4X4 didn't have it. Someone paid $2000 for 4X4 option and didn't spend another $200 on limited slip rear. cookoo

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Orignial rads did not have enough tubes so the pressure built up in the upper tank causing the seams on the upper tank to leak. Ford at first used a restricted flow thermostate to cut the flow rate to the undersized original rads
Correct me if I am wrong.
First of all I have had 2 modine radiators (fortunatly they have a life tome warranty)and am ready to get my 3rd radiator on warranty. They all have leaked from the top tank seams,not bad just enough to discolor the tank seam.
Secondly I question ( i am not an authority)the quote (pressure built up in the upper tank causing the seams on the upper tank to leak). Wouldn't the pressure in the block be the same as radiator pressure? If so then the engine would have to run over heated also to produce the pressure in the radiator,and why doen't the lower radiator tank leak.Thus if the engine ran without overheating ,why would the pressure in the radiator be high enough to open the tank seams? And the top tank only?
I am shurely interested as I have had so many top tank leaks.
Mr Bill

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i refuse to use an electric fan, i'd use a regular fan with a electric backup, but would not use a electric for my only means of cooling. :puke: never had any form of luck with them.

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
measured a radiator at the IH jun.....salvage yard by my house, a stock scout II rad is 26 1/2" (top/bottom) x 22 1/2" (side/side) i can go a little taller but i can't go wider b/c the radiator support is part of the body support/mounts. on the BinderBulletin there's a guy w/ a 6.9 bored to a 7.3 in a scout II and he has a stock 3 core rad, he said it'll stay cool on hot days, i don't think he pulls, i'd like to have it overkilled so i won't have to worry about it getting hot when i'm dragging a sled to a full pull at the local truck pulls....LOL :D ;Sweet

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7