Quick n cheap cowl induction how-to

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does it pull the air from the venting right below the windshield? I have considered fabricating a 'Not big and obnoxious' :) hood scoop what would be the benefits vs drawbacks? I can see now how it might be hard to keep water out of something like a hood scoop so now I'm thinking maybe I know why No one does that lol

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would do a cowl over a good scoop mostly because I don't like the look of good scoops lol. But where the cowl draws air from is a very high air pressure point. When you're moving it's almost like the air is being pushed into the cowl.... Kind of a best analogy but you get the idea.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes from what I've read when your at speed it creates an area of high pressure that actually pushes air into the cowl. YouTube cowl induction demonstration. There's a guy with a 70's chevy with a cowl induction and taped stringers to it. You see them flailing at idle and as soon as he's moving they get sucked in. Also I think the biggest benefit is not sucking any hot air from the engine bay

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That too! Honestly I think it's one of the most if not the most effective air intake setup... The only truck with our trucks is finding a good filter setup to go with it!

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I was fortunate to have the banks sidewinder kit so it had the large round opening for it. But if you get creative you can adapt it to pretty much anything