quick engine assembly question

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my 94 factory turbo 7.3 that munched a ring a week ago. I am currently assembling it and have a question about the rod orientation.

The end of the rods where they bolt to the crank, on the inside edge of the rod circle is slightly beveled or radiused and the other side is beveled or radiused more. My questin is what side faces the crank and what side faces the rod next to it?

They way they came out is with the larger beveled edges of both rods facing each other. I always thought the beveled edge was to allow clearance for radius on the crank pin where the pin transitions from smooth bearing surface to crank weight.

The engine has been appart before by PO so did they put them in wrong? which way do they go?

Thanks,

-Rob

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure but I tend to agree with you. The least beveled sides should face each other on a common crank pin. I will look around and see if I can dig up my book.
Ken

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rods have a square weight up around the wrist pin, I want to be sure they were in wrong before I turn them all around. Don't want to cause a balance problem. Ken, let me know what you find if you find your book. Any one else remember the orientation?

Thanks,

-Rob

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my answere, called international and the chamfers do face the crank not the other rod. Some goober put all of them in backwards when they built this thing.

Thanks,

-Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Goober is right.....cookoo :***: Your lucky the motor even ran. These rods have an offset to them and if they are installed backwards that puts a stress on the pistons and can ruin the crank because it grinds on the machined surfaces at the chemfers. Glad you asked this question now??? Toady your the "lucky dog"....:D :D

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Found my answere, called international and the chamfers do face the crank not the other rod. Some goober put all of them in backwards when they built this thing.

Thanks,

-Rob

I figured as much. It just makes sence that way;Sweet
Ken

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah maybe the busted ring was a blessing in disguise, it seems it could as easily have failed with a rod through the block ah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online