Questions on pipe sizes when I rebuild wmo system.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone kinda goes through this, I'll be reconfiguring my wmo system at some point in time.
What does everyone think about this...
The line coming from my PS pump which pushes my wmo is a 3/8 brake line.
Does it make a difference if my filter head lines/pipes would be 1 1/4"-1 1/2"?????
I would think once the system is full & pressured, the only bad thing would be a volume or gph drop...???
Thanks all, let me know.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using a ps pump to push through filters? How are you regulating the pressure down to keep from blowing filters apart?

Pressure post filter heads will be a lot lower unless there is a restriction after them... So if you come up to 1.25" pipe... but you still need pressure after the filter, you need to neck it back down to 3/8" line. If you are just using it for transfer and dont need pressure, dont worry about it.

-Chris

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will work, but you will lose a lot of efficiency in the small feed line. The GPH through the line is a function of size/length/pressure. is that 3/8ID or OD line? 3/8ID is the smallest I run on my pressure side.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that 3/8ID or OD line? 3/8ID is the smallest I run on my pressure side.

You know Josh not even sure, think its OD.
The fitting on the back of my PS pump worked with this long piece of brake line.
Talk about pressure in the system, someone in this section talked about pressure is not as good for the filter, but pulling or vacuum.
So maybe in my instances a lower "pushing" pressure could be better.:dunno

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's odd since most filters are designed around a pressure system... not a vaccum.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a stickler for physics, and details etc so it bothers me to see people posting that. Using vacuum to pull through a filter is no better than using pressure. The only thing that matters is how much. If you limit your head pressure to 13-14 psi then you are doing exactly the same thing as pulling through the filter. When you pull through a filter, you are simply allowing atmospheric pressure which is 15PSI max PUSH the oil through the filter. There is no such thing as a vacuum, only an absence or differential of pressure, so the atmosphere is simply trying to equalize itself into the area that has lower pressure. And in trying to fill that differential it will push the oil through the filter at +-15PSI. I'm being redundant, but I tend to do that with I have trouble iterating my point. LOL
People are seeing better results pulling through a filter because they limit the head pressure to the ambient atmospheric. That in most cases will be multiple times lower than what they can push through at. I monitor my head pressures and change the filters at 60PSI. If I am not in a hurry I open the bypass and only push through at 20PSI. Those numbers are arbitrary but thats what I stick to. My filters are rated at 285 PSI burst.