Questions on a big CAT motor

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well my gf's mom just added another dump truck to her collection. Its a 94 Ford L9000. I forgot to write down what the model of the motor was. Its really clean though. Im not used to these big diesels besides big diesel Ford tractors. Is there anything I can do to squeeze more power out of it? I noticed someone did a crappy job of welding up the turbo pipe from the exhaust manifold to the intercooler. I dont even know how they got a hole in it in the first place. Their weld job sucked and leaks through all the lil pin holes. Is there some kind of airfilter mod I can do to it or somethin? Turn the pump up any? I will get some pics up of it. Its a nice truck though. No leaks, 500 sum thousand miles i think. Cab is nice, no rust at all just needs a paint job. All the lights work. Tag axle works great. The bump bed has been patched a little and has some rust but thats normal. Anything I should look for with these cat motors?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 94, my first guess would be a 3406b. Get the engine's serial number too.

3176 and 3306 were very common in the 9000 Fords of this year too. Most of these engines were 300 hp and up. Do ya really need more in a dump truck. These old CATs are VERY, VERY thirsty, especially when turned up.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea its a 300hp i know that much. I will try to get the numbers off it tonight. Theres a lot of hills around here and its a ****. I know its a big heavy dumptruck but her old international and freightliners would go up them no probs. This is the smallest motor they have right now and she can tell a difference in power between all the trucks. Just didnt know if there were any easy mods to do on it. We dont want to tear anything up on it though and its not like we are gonna mod it so heavily we are gonna blow it. Its gonna be nice once we get it painted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online