Questions, and Timing issues.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Got my J33300 in the mail yesterday, and other than the mag probe not working. (I think it's the plug actually) I can time!

Now, first reading I got was something close to 30* ATDC at 2000...

So I go back, and watch it through a rev cycle. It starts out at 2* BTDC, then smoothly retards to 25* ATDC. Reving down slowly, it moves back slowly.
That's bad right?

I gave the pump as much advance as I could. (I CAN give it more, but I didn't have time to muck with the fuel lines) Now it idles at 6.5 BTDC, and is still badly retarded at 2K. (drives alot better tho)

So, the questions are:

What could the problems be?
Now I'm getting some blue smoke when I punch it. Am I right in thinking that's because it's short buss retarded?
This is NOT the original IP, there is a rebuild sticker from a diesel shop on it. Could the gear be off a tooth?
What are some things I can do? (short of replacing the IP, which I cannot afford right now)
If it comes to it, I do have a JY IP core of unknown condition. (it was going to become a Moose, after I found a turbo) Are there some visual things to look for before I try swapping them?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well your gear timing could be off but determining that will require the removel of the pump seperately from the gear cover. Then lifting off the gear cover and looking at the timing marks on the cam and injection pump gear. A small inspection mirror and flashlite will work. Just don't remove the pump and gear and cover as one piece. You will never know if the gears were timing right or not.. I'm not sure what timing methods your using but if you are just using the meter and no timing lite see that all the rocker switches are in the proper locations. Then connect the power and press the bottom rocker switch. Then all the digital readouts will show zeros. Then start and rev to 2000 rpm. Having a broken mag probe is not going to help the meter either. I have one you can borrow. PM me if that will help you out.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
That's how I tried to time it the first time. I had written down your instructions from a previous thread. But could not get a timing reading. (stuck at -20) Unplugged the pulse sensor, and ****, no readings at all. So I got out my timing light and switched it over to trigger the light, and everything worked well after that. Well everything accept for my timing.

Pulling the IP is not that big a hassle, now that I've played with it. I will prolly try pulling it, then checking the gears this weekend if I get a moment.

I still worry that there is something deeply wrong with the IP. It retarding that much as it revs up just doesn't seem right. I remember Mel talking about that symptom, but I cannot seem to find the post.