Question about the "new" style D60 inner seals

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read elsewhere that the new style 2pc or inner spinning design didn't have to be installed from the inside of the housing. It says the new seal will be "drawn" in to the correct depth by the carrier. Anyone have insight on this?
Also, if this is true is there enough clearance to knock the old seal thru without removing the pumpkin?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have no experience with the new seal. I did however change the ring and pinion on my Dana 60 and replaced the axle seals. I actually bought a tool to install them, it worked very well. That being said, I don't see anyway you could remove the old ones without pulling the carrier. If memory serves, the seals sit behind the bearing race and therefore wouldn't clear going into the housing, and there is a lip so they won't push out into the axle tubes. At least that's how mine is. I have an 85 with king pins. I do know there are like 4 different sets of seals depending on application. I was lucky and got the right ones in my kit.

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the copy n paste version of what I read.....
I hope people about to replace these with the updated seals are reading this before you go and pound them in. The new 2 piece seal pn 710530 from national is not a pound in seal. It's a push in and that's it. When you slide the carrier back in it crushes the inner sleeve a bit to keep the outer part from rotating.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Here's the copy n paste version of what I read.....
I hope people about to replace these with the updated seals are reading this before you go and pound them in. The new 2 piece seal pn 710530 from national is not a pound in seal. It's a push in and that's it. When you slide the carrier back in it crushes the inner sleeve a bit to keep the outer part from rotating.

I think that answers your question about removing the carrier too! Actually, the old seals were press in too, they would be destroyed quite easily with an unsquare hit...that's why I bought the tool...didn't want to do it again! :)

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AHH HAA.. I didn't have a exploded view of the axle and i guess really didn't understand where the seals where located but I do now. I thought they were near the end of the tube nearest the wheel. This looks like a "fun" job.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I used the new seals when I did mine. The carrier will not seat the seals (at least in the '91 axle that I put them in). I did the required grinding and installed them with a normal seal/race driver with a long steel rod (two person job). No leaks.

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. But what exactly does the required grinding consist of? Is it a lip in the diameter of the tube?
I know.. Lol.. Newbie questions

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
There is a lip that would not fit in my tubes. If the picture works you can see it with and without the lip.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online