pyrometers..

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
school me...

best deal...
preferance on manufacturer...
preferance on install location...

Im probably gonna go with a non powered unit to keep the install simpler..

anyone??

Exekiel69

Reaction score
ISSPRO hands down. You can drill a hole on the manifold in the right location or as close to the exhaust manifold exit as possible. If You have a turbo most times it comes with a drilled hole for the probe.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the location on the turbo is going to be cooler than the exhaust manifold right? Mine is an ATS and its tapped on the up pipe close to the snailshell.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
But the location on the turbo is going to be cooler than the exhaust manifold right?

Yup, usually around 200-300 degrees cooler. And yes I second ISSPRO, they may be a little on the spendy side, but they are awsome gauges. Alot of big rigs use them (or at least the ones I've riden in). Actually I was at my grandparents house these last two days, packing up for our trip to the High Sierras, and we were going through his shop, and I looked at one of the shelves, and I saw 2 ISSPRO pyro's, probably about 3.5" give or take. Good looking units from what I saw, I think I might ask if I can take one off of his hands for him ;Sweet .

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
school me...anyone??

Personally.:D on a N/A engine with two cyl heads, I would use a dual setup where each bank is represented with its own scale and needle within one single gauge.;Sweet Often based on aircraft style or type of Pyro. See link for an example http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/micro3egt.php

If yer into overkill (READ ME)cookoo and can afford it(READ I CANNOT):rotflmao :rotflmao and your going to single turbo that same engine then you can do a dual unit single gauge (for each head) as described above and you can also set one single gauge unit up at the turbo as well.:thumbsup:-Drool
See link for an example of a single unit http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/micro2egt.php

IMHO:hail one can never have enough info when it comes to knowing whats going on within ones vehicle.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I'm talking with the guy who owns www.gaugepods.com about what the warranty/guarantee is on his gauges, but so far they definitely have the cheapest option...just want to make sure I'm not going to regret the decision not to spend another $40 or so on a name brand gauge.

<Edit> Just found out they've got a 60 day satisfaction guarantee and the probe is the screw in type, not clamp. So I think I'm going to give them a shot.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto on ISSPro. Stay away from distance mountings. The turbo is too far away in my opionion. Stay within 3" from the manifold. At farther distances, not only does the temperature show cooler, but the rate of change is slower. You could be over limit a few seconds before you see it at the turbo. Not only that, but it makes it hard to compare your readings with what everybody else who follows this rule is seeing.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, usually around 200-300 degrees cooler.....
Not necessarily.

If the probe is in the exhaust INPUT side of the snail then the temp drop is only about 100 degrees - according to Banks. That is where the probe is on my Banks setup and they say up to 1150 degrees is safe - and the material the pistons are made of has a known melting point of 1250. That's only a 100 degree difference.

Now, if the probe is in the exhaust EXIT side of the snail, then yes, 300 degrees temp drop is the accepted number.

As for the lag, Agnem mentions, that is a very good point. There is a bit of a lag in the guage response to start with, and the farther you locate the probe from the exhaust ports the worse it is going to get.

The good news is that it isn't a major issue. You can actually exceed the 1250 melting point of the pistons for VERY short periods of time on occaision and not do any damage. Metal doesn't instantly liquefy when it reaches its melting point - it takes a little time at that temp to get it to actually melt. PLUS although the temp in the cylinder reaches 1250 degrees, that is only the temp at the surface of the top of the piston. Just below the surface the metal is slightly cooler due to the fact that aluminum is such a fantastic conductor of heat and it is dissapating it rapidly into the cylinder walls. There is also the fact that our engines have the nozzles that squirt oil onto the bottom side of the pistons for cooling to help keep the whole piston from reaching that critical 1250 degree melting point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating pushing it on the EGTs, and I still agree that the closer you can mount the probe to the actual exhaust ports of the cylinders the better. I'm just saying that the slight temp drop and lag of the more remote mounting isn't that big of a deal in my mind - as long as you compensate for it by lowering the max temp you allow the EGTs to reach.

Just my 2 cents....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The probe on a 60 series Detroit is about 4" from the turbo flange on the downpipe....You'll still see big heat there and if your seeing enough heat to scare you or make you take your foot out of it you may have other things to address to get the EGT's under control.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't most inline 6 cylinders have the advantage of directly mounting the turbo to the engine? I imagine things might be a little different in that respect.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... what's that. Never seen one of those before. :dunno

LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online