Pulsating lights help

Broken_Season

Reaction score
I noticed on the new 88 F350, that the lights pulsate while the engine is running. Pulsing gets faster as throttle is applied, but at RPM cruising no pulsing I can see.

Ive cleaned the grounds, My guess is the alternator is bad.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Lights get dim and and dimmer. as well as the battery light on the dash cycles some times.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check you voltage with the truck running and raise the rpms while watching the meter. It should be pretty smooth in the voltage change as the alt puts out more amps at the higher rpms. If you see nothing out of place with the voltages, then I’d check the connection on the back of the headlight switch.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
all the lights pulse, not just the headlights(actually I dont think the headlights pulse since the last owner put in HID) But at higher RPM the voltage goes up, and the pulsing gets a little faster.

Broken_Season

Reaction score
Oh okay, Ill double check. Cause I cant remember if it does it with the lights off or not. MY cb radio goes crazy when Ive been driving at night. But I dont remember if it does during the day. Ill check when I get to lunch break.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this before, it was either alternator, regulator(you have a 1G alternator, right? External regulator on those). or grounding to the regulator.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this before too. It was a loose connection on the small two wire connector on the alternator in my case.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may also have a bad diode in the alternator, pulsing at idle is normal, at higher speeds its not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online