Project: 1986 F-250 6.0 Swap.

Hardy41

Reaction score
Hey Guys. So before I start this post I just want to say a few things. This is my first event build post and this build will probably take me forever!! So now we got that out of the way.

I want to engine swap a 6.0 diesel into my 1986 F-250 I have seen people do these type of swaps but, most that I have seen body swapped a older Ford body onto a newer truck frame. I have already done some modifications to my 86 already:
7.3 IDI swap
Zf5 swap
Dana 60 solid axle swap
Hydro boost for brakes.
All of these modifications were all bolt on and very easy to do. This 6.0 swap is definitely not a bolt in swap.

I picked up a 2004 F-550 with a 6.0 with an zf6. The frame and body was junk on the truck. I have already pulled the drivetrain out and all the electrical components.While I have the engine out, I replaced the head gasket, installed head studs, had the injections rebuilt, upgraded to a newer HPOP, rebuilt the oil cooler,EGR delete and rerouting the coolant so it doesn’t travel through the intake.
Hopefully in the next few days I will have the drivetrain out of the 86 and will test fit the 6.0 in the engine bay.

here are a few photos of the engine bay and my 6.0 torn apart.

You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two words for you:

Freakin Awesome!

I am not a BullNose fan, and I’m the only man in North America who admits in public that I like a properly prepped 6.0 PSD, but I like the combination you are embarking on.

Nothing but respect for you: I am subscribed ;Sweet

Ghuds

Reaction score
I’m subscribed too! I’ve got an 83 F250, 6.9. I’ve also had two 6.0’s - an 04 with close to 300K before I got hit by a semi and totaled it, (Bone stock and ran great.) and currently an 06 with 180K (bulletproof EGR cooler and coolant filter). I love the 6.0, it’s the last truck that Ford built that actually sounds like a diesel.

Hardy41

Reaction score
Ok a little update. I got the motor pulled today and test fit the 6.0. There is not a lot of side to side room or front to back. It looks like I will have to massage the firewall on the drivers side where the up pipe come up. The lower radiator hose connection is really close to the steering box. It looks like it will fit but very tight. The motor mounts are going to be the challenge but I have a plan. I can not use the 6.0 lower motor mounts because the bolt that Mount to the cross member are to wide and they are at the wrong angle. It looks like I can use the IDI lower motor mounts and Mount then to the 6.0 upper mounts by re drilling the holes to fit the 6.0 upper mounts. It is hard to explain but once I start mocking them up I will take plenty of pics. Also, I will have to use the 6.0 passenger upper mounts on both sides and the IDI driver side lower mounts on both sides in order to have the engine sit centered in the frame. Again, when I get the new motor mounts in I will take a bunch of pictures.

Also, when pulling a motor by yourself,
make sure you disconnect the transmission and transfer case before you pull it. It was a PITA... lol I though it would be easier but, my hoist couldn’t pick it up high enough and had to reposition the lift to get it out. oh well it’s out and I didn’t kill myself.