Problems with tach

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess since I am frustrated with the motor I will work on a few other things. The tach on the truck isn't working right. It jumps around all over the place. When I get high in the revs it seems like it might be working but I doubt it. What do I need to check out?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
on the 92-96/7 trucks with a tach (at least on the gassers) once a tach starts to act erratic like that it means it is usually going bad and needs to be replaced. im not sure on the 92-94 IDIs with the tach sensor in the oil fill cover (if it is even there on em)...but u can try replacing that or even just cleaning it.

this happened to my on my 93 F-150, i installed a tach cluster in place of my non-tach clutster and the tach was all wacky and it turns out once they go wacky they are junk. kinda sucks, but thats all i have to provide.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my tach is doing the same thing too. It reads but its only reads correct when it wants too. So hope cleaning it will fix problem.. Good luck to ya

rumdumb

Reaction score
I have a 94 idi td and the tach would only work in the upper rpm range . I changed the sender pump gear housing near the oil fill and it works perfectly

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
anyone know of aftermarket tachs that will work with out sending unit? or our iriginal wiring for the stock dash tach? im puttin my diesel in my 78 bronco and would like to use a tach but dont wnt to use the cluster out of the 86 since that would look like crap in my78

Ray

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 idi td and the tach would only work in the upper rpm range . I changed the sender pump gear housing near the oil fill and it works perfectly

That sounds like what mine is doing. Where did you get the part you replaced it with?

suv7734

Reaction score
That sounds like what mine is doing. Where did you get the part you replaced it with?

P/N: E5TZ-17B384-A (RPM Sensor) is a Ford only part. Last I remember it was about $50.00.
Check the wires coming out of the top they sometimes get frayed and short out on one another.
If you pull it to clean it you can test it with an ohm meter. Hold the sensor in the air away from any metal and you should read a resistance of 2000-3000 ohms across the two leads.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I found the problem. One of my wires is bare. I guess I am going to put some heat shrink on it and see if that fixes it, if not I'll get a new sensor.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got bare wires on mine, tried electric tape, no fix, but never thought of the heat shrink and clean. That might be better. $50 isn't that much coin in the grand scheme of things but it hurts to pay that much for such a little insignificant part.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P/N: E5TZ-17B384-A (RPM Sensor) is a Ford only part. Last I remember it was about $50.00.
Check the wires coming out of the top they sometimes get frayed and short out on one another.
If you pull it to clean it you can test it with an ohm meter. Hold the sensor in the air away from any metal and you should read a resistance of 2000-3000 ohms across the two leads.

Thanks for that part number. Just a reminder to everyone that Towcat put together a great collection of part numbers in our Parts Bin tech article. I'm sure some forget to look there first, and if you don't find the part listed there, be sure to post it so we can add it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online