Problems with Glow Plug Relay? Before you buy new Read this!!

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
Just a quick note to any having problems with glow plug controller(relay) mine was on a 82 240D.

Once the relay has been diagnosed as the problem (eliminate plugs, wires, and power from ignition) before you buy a new one AND if you are comfortable with soldering PC boards, do the following.

Remove relay from car, on the top of the case are four small screws remove them and separate top from the botom of the case. Inspect the PC board for anything obvious such as burned components, lose connection,etc. If none are found turn board over so solder connections are accessible. Carefully resolder each and every connection (usually by just touching with a pencil type iron) Takes about 20 30 min tops. From what I have been reading Mercedes was not all that great in the soldering department, and seems to be pretty well known for cold solder joints. Tried out the theory on my 240 figured I was going to buy another anyway so why not. Popped it back into the car and presto Glow Plugs work Indicator turns on and off.

So if you are OK with a little electronics grade soldering, go for it, your going to junk the thing anyway, and it may just save you some bucks. ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post!!

FWIW, the same thing can be done to repair the cruise control amplifier on the 123 and 126 chassis. It may also work on the 116 and the 124 chassis, but I'm not certain. I haven't tried this myself because I've never soldered on PC board before and I'm nervous about fouling it up....

Meta6981

Reaction score
Sorry just saw it, what now can you do to the cruise control, mine recently died. -cuss -cuss

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-solder the joints on the board, as described in the first post. Quite a few people ahve done this with cruise control amps, with positive results. BUT, you need to know how to solder on PC board before you give it a try...it requires pinpoint precision and carefully regulated heat. I don't know enough about it to try it myself...but there are a few people around who may. A friend of towcat's has the ability, and Seth may know someone as well...

Meta6981

Reaction score
hmm, worth looking into i miss my cruise control. especially driving up to san francisco. 280 always makes me constantly move the accelorator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking

Members online