PROBLEM

powerhungry07

Reaction score
in my 97 psd stock i have been having porblems. loss of oil engine light with no throttle response and huge lack of power. the truck is slow i thouight thats just how it is but i was informed something was wrong i should atleast feel the turbo pull which i barely do. a diesel mechanic before looking it over and first said turbo. after looking at it he now says wastegate. no wi see 99 psd wastegates for sale but no 97 why? and when i called my smaller local dealer i was informed it was in the pedestal. i am new to diesels so i am confused and want to know where can i get new wastegate or do they sell rebuild kits????? any suggestions:confused:

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 PSD is not wastegated. The flapper in the exhaust is an Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. Nice for making into a DIY exhaust brake.:sly:sly It may be stuck shut. It should close for a very brief time at startup and during very cold days on warmup.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It's not in the pedestal. It's in the housing where your downpipe for your exhaust bolts to the turbo. As mentioned above, it may be stuck shut. Very easy to remove.

zpd307

Reaction score
x2 on the ebpv. they are known to get stck shut. this will definately make for loss of power. get a better downpipe while you are at it. the oe one in crimped shut and junk.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1...get a new mechanic.

powerhungry07

Reaction score
:dunnoso where can i get a new ebv valve how mauch are they normaly and can you buy a rebuild kit for them. and yes i will get a new down pipe if im replacing that;Sweet

powerhungry07

Reaction score
:hail:cheers::cheers:i cant thank you guys enough every question gets answered and even with humor. i have been into to diesels but have owned one for one year and the learning experience is awesome thanks for everything and i will update as soon as possible

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all likelihood there is nothing wrong with your EBPV. It is either stuck in the closed position or the EBS (back pressure sensor) is telling it to remain closed. The EBS is located on the front right of the engine near or beside the HPOP and it has a sensing tube that runs from the bottom of the right front of the exhaust manifold. The tube has a tendency to plug with soot and then the EBS cant get a pressure signal. Take the tube off, clean it out and see what happens. Another thing you can try is to unhook the plug that drives the EBPV actuator from the solenoid. That is located on the left side of the turbo pedestal under the turbo air intake hose/tube and finally you can also just unhook the actuator arm from the EBPV and wire the flap open. Unhook and wire open is my least favorite option as the actuator rod can develop a slight oil leak since there is nothing there to support it after unhooked.

powerhungry07

Reaction score
Tonight i worked on the truck. first after taking off the down pipe i could flip the flap and it was open so it is not stuck. Next i checked the EBs connctor visualy for a bad connecter and was not sure if you can test it, also i checked some of the other connectors on the engine. and last i took out the ebs tube on the manifold and blew air through it nothing came out. Unnless you guys have more ideas the truck willl prob be going to Unlimited Diesel the closest diesel shop.
any ideas

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you start it cold it should shut or partially shut then once the engine warms up it will open.

powerhungry07

Reaction score
it does close when its cold it just sounds like its not opening and feels like the turbo is doing nothing .like it is creating boost but its not moving the truck anyfaster. i am still waiting on the local shop to contact me and i was wondering that if i could unplug the ebpv sensor and prove anything, like if the sensors bad and that would have been the problem.n just i am not sure if i willl harm anything by unplugggin the sensor

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to unplug the solenoid under the left side of the turbo intake hose at the base of the pedestal. If you unhook the tube from the sensor you will ensure the valve to remain closed as it will never see back pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726