powerstroke to IDI swap

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Background:

Currently own a 1992 F250 4x4. 160,*** miles. New pump and injectors, glow plugs, batteries, transmission, transfer case.

The bad? It's a rusty single cab, and I've got a growing family.

Have a line on a pretty good condition 1995 CC Long Bed F350 4x4 that had an engine fire.

I know it's a pain to swap powerstoke into IDI chassis, but how about vice versa? I have the perfect donor, a known running truck.

Thoughts? Concerns? Blessings?

Thanks!

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
My thought/concern is that, seeing how you are in CA you are required to smog '97 and newer diesels now. Smog nazis will for sure give you hell when they pop the hood on the truck and see old iron under there.
Mechanically speaking, anything is possible, but the smog nazis don't see it that way...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you transplant your donor IDI truck's entire wiring harness, it will be cake. The 95 CC's didn't have power rear windows anyway, so you won't even be missing anything.

Some of those PSD parts might still be good for core parts, too. Just FYI.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple IMO. set it in, put fuel to it, hook 12 volts to the pump from a key-on hot wire, put oil pressure and water temps sensors from PSD on IDI, grin while driving. But i have yet to do this swap either.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Pretty simple IMO. set it in, put fuel to it, hook 12 volts to the pump from a key-on hot wire, put oil pressure and water temps sensors from PSD on IDI, grin while driving. But i have yet to do this swap either.

Have a line on a pretty good condition 1995 CC Long Bed F350 4x4 that had an engine fire.

Ahem. Not gonna work with trying to use any of the old PSD sensors or wiring (including not trusting the gauges or dash anymore, now). Swap your ENTIRE harness.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have aftermarket gauges so most of the ones on the dash are defunct now anyways, and I'll be moving them over to the new truck.

Word is the guy has about 900 miles on the a rebuilt zf5, new clutch, and rebuilt motor.

Basically going to take my entire powertrain and swap it in, sell what I can, and call it a day.

All the responses are reasuring me that I'm not dealing with some major difference.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
All the responses are reasuring me that I'm not dealing with some major difference.

No major differences (aside from the obvious that's already been stated). If I were in your same situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You can keep that Zf-5 in the truck, too; just use IDI 5-speed stuff (flywheel, clutch, etc) on the back of your engine and you'll be golden.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found out, he forgot to mention, that the dash is melted as well, so the can of worms gets larger.... Not sure $2500 is as a good of a deal now.

Want to keep my 92 as complete as possible for resell.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what a rebuilt zf5 is worth? Transfercase? And what sounds like a decent 95 PSD?

Zf depends on who's willing to buy it from you. You can see anywhere from $500-$1200 for it. Maybe more. The PSD engine, with the fire, really depends on how much of it was destroyed on the top end. You have a picture of how bad the damage was? They're actually really easy to fix.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Just found out, he forgot to mention, that the dash is melted as well, so the can of worms gets larger.... Not sure $2500 is as a good of a deal now.

Want to keep my 92 as complete as possible for resell.

Dash's are easy to find in the junkyard. $2500 does sound a little steep for a glorified boat anchor of a truck though... Not to discourage you from doing it, but you should be able to talk him down. If the fire was that intense, I say that the engine is toast. Too much internal damage to save it. That means his engine parts aren't worth diddly. Talk him down. Offer him 1500 (which is what the chassis and body are really worth) and see where he goes from there.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically everything plastic from the grill to the dash is melted. So everything in the engine bay that melts, melted.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Basically everything plastic from the grill to the dash is melted. So everything in the engine bay that melts, melted.

Yup, it's toast. You'll be using your entire front end on it. Your 92 won't be worth much for anything but scrap by the time you're done with it. But you SHOULD be able to get around $600-$800 just for the body and bad parts from the PSD.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Heres the photo. Fire started from a battery short while the truck was NOT running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online